Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

green slime??

I have this almost neon green slime taking over me tank it is all over my rocks and the sides. I have a 30 - 35 gal hex with 20 lbs of live sand in the bottom with 20 lbs of CLR and 10 lbs of base rock, a metal halide light, a sea clone 100 skimmer, 2 power flow jets and a regular filter. My readings are temp b/w 72 - 74, pH 8.3, phos 0, cal 520, amn 0.25, nit 0, and dKH 9 (161.1). I have cut my lighting time down to only 2-3 hours to see if this will help but it hasn't I am only feeding my 1 fish every other day only a couple of pelets. I have also 2 peppermint shrimp, 6 purple snails and 5 blue legs. Is there anything else that I can do that will get rid of this..... Please help????????

Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old is your tank , newer tanks seem to go through these blooms
you can siphion it out .
How old are your bulbs ?
what are your water change schedules ?
What if any corals in your tank ? If you dont have any you could go dark for 2 -3 days ..

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #3

my tank is about 2 months old. I can siphion It off of the sand but not off of the rocks. It comes off of the glass eaisly. my light is new. I change my water every week to week and a half. I do have a feather duster in there. and a candy coral
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be ok to go with out lights for a day or two ,. But for the stuff on the LR I would say use a toothbrush to get it off while siphioning it out ... It is a form of bacteria aka cyno
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #5

will is go away if just seems to be getting worse! Would it be better to take my rocks out and wash them off with some ro water or something?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You said "nit 0"... do you mean nitrites, or nitrates? If nitrites, then what are you nitrate levels? Also - what do you use for water to mix your salt with? RO/DI? Tap?

Are you feeding the coral and duster anything? Just curious because the cyano is getting its fuel from somewhere, and I'm just not seeing what it is yet.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 AM   #7

I believe it nitrates I dont know what my nitrites are I dont have a test for them. I am feeding phytoplex for my coral but I have only fed them once. I am using RO water mixing instance ocean
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 AM   #8

I have left my light off all day today and it seems to be better but I am scared when I go back to leaving it on it will come back so I need to know how to get rid of it. I plan on doing a water change tommorrow about 7 - 10 gal and possible taking out my rocks and cleaning them would this be recommended?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your candy cane coral doesn't need (or want) phyto. It'll take small chopped up pieces of mysis shrimp, or other meaty stuff. Whether or not your feather duster needs it is probably questionable. I wouldn't use it at all, but if nothing else I'd lay off using it until you get your algae issue cleared up. I wouldn't think using it just once would cause a problem... unless you used a ton of it.

How often are you doing water changes? And are you dosing anything for calcium? 520ppm for using RO with Instant Ocean just isn't right, unless you're adding something else.

Reducing your lighting will definitely help, but if they were only on for 2-3 hours to start with, there's something else fueling it.

When you mentioned you're using a "regular filter", what exactly is that?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 AM   #10

I am doing water changes every week to week and a half . I was doing change every 2 weeks to 3 weeks until I started getting this green slime. I am not using anything else as far as dosing anything. the filter is a tetra whisper I believe its rated for 50 - 60 gal tank. I change the carbon filter every week I started my light on for 10 - 12 hours but since this green slime has started I have cut down to 2 - 3 hours

Tags
slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com