Green Slime on Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanej20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some green and red cyno bacteria growing in my tank and I am desperately trying to get rid of it. I have been told that Chemiclean works pretty well so I dosed my tank yesterday and am still waiting for results. I was just wondering if anyone had an oppinion on this matter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lane

There are several things you need to check on your tank...Test your water params. What is your SG, PH, Nitrites, Ammonia, NitrAtes, Phosphates? Where does your source water come from? Do you have an RO/DI system? How often and how much do you feed? how big is your tank? How many fish do you have? What kind of lights do you have and how long are they on? How long has your tank been set up? Any or all of these questions can contribute to cyano.

AS Mike said the best thing to do is remove as much as you can and then identify what the problem is. Adding chemicals to your tank can cause more harm the good. Best to figure out what is out of whack and correct that.

I get my water from Walmart. It is Culligan water and is RO/DI and also UV Sterilized. My tank is 55 gallons, 50lbs live rock, 60lbs live sand, 4 small corals, 2 fish, 1 plant. My protein skimmer is Jebo and works really well. I have a Marineland 350 biowheel filter and then an extra HOB filter for the time being.

I was feeding everyday and probably way to frequently. I am going to cut back on the feedings to every other day. I only have my daylight bulbs for about 6 hours a day and my actinic blues for about 10 hours. Is that too much if I want to cut back on algae?

My live rock had good coraline coverage when I bought it, but for some reason it doesnt seem to be spreading. I was hoping to get some nice, colorful algae and instead I am getting cruddy brown and green algae and my sand is really dirty.

lanej20 said:
I get my water from Walmart. It is Culligan water and is RO/DI and also UV Sterilized.

Yes this sounds good but we rally dont know how often they change the filters. The only way to know is to make up some PWC water and do your water test results before you add it and see where nitrates and phosphates are. Also if that water is OK then you`ll need to do frequent PWC`s to dillute the excessive nutrients in your tank. Do water test now in your tank for nitrates and phosphates. Great idea on the feeding. Cut back to every other day or half of what you are feeding every day. HTH

Back
Top Bottom