Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings Aquarium lovers from Sunny England (Manchester)

Hi All,

I'd just like to introduce myself im Sean from Manchester UK. I've Kept a fresh water tank for a few year so deceided to up my game to a more challenging Salt water tank which is 23 Gallons / 50 litres. The set up for the tank is mixed live sand with a external fluval 106 filter / heater etc! Bought some RO/DI water from local pet shop today & everything is running smoothly so far!

Few questions to all you seasoned pro's out there!!:

1/ How long until I can add live rock & they ultimatley when to start adding snails etc?

2/ Do you think I need a skimmer

3/ Should the inlet from the pump be fully submersed or making bubbles at the surface? should I buy a air stone or power head?

Thanks in advance

sh4ymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

I moved this to the SW getting started forum. Your questions will get more looks there.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add all the rocks and cycle the tank if you dont already have fish. If you have fish, then cycle the rocks in another vessel, such as a trashcan or spare tank.

You dont need a skimmer as long as you are doing weekly water changes.

If you are not getting enough surface agitation, then add a powerhead and aim at te surface. What inlet pump are you talking about? Im thinking you are talking about the outlet of the canister.
Kind Regards,
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com