Greetings dudes Newbie Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cturtlesrck

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi ya'll . I am new here was sent here from another site by reefraff , looks like I'll get a lot of help here ..I have not yet gottne started I have only purchased the tank itself , a glass one , a 50 Gal I have the receipt should I take it back .. To big ,To small?? Ok that is the first question ... trust me many many more to come ...
I have read lots of books but I think this is the best way to get the answers... a book can't talk back ...
Thanks ahead of time

the perfect size for the begginer would be a 55 G, so I think you picked just fine. just remember, No undergravel filter, and use sand instead of crushed coral. I'll let others chime in.

a 50 Gal I have the receipt should I take it back .. To big ,To small??

For a first SW aquarium...it sounds just about right. I think you'll soon find though that you'll want a larger tank :wink: What type of tank are you looking to set up?

some of us are "dudettes" tho ;)

I personally recommend starting with the biggest tank that you
can afford to set up. With saltwater, you do not have the room that
you would in a freshwater tank for fish etc, if you go with liverock. It
will take up alot of your space and you wont have alot of room for
fish.

With regards to fish, I agree with Hara. Think of the "must have " fish. If it a larger species (like a tang) you will need a bigger tank. If you want to keep smaller fish, then you are fine. Plan out what you would like to keep, then plan your system aound that. You are lucky, because you have not bought much yet. I think the planning is the fun part!

Im on my first saltwater tank.Its a 55 gal and ive had it for about a year and a half.Already wishing i had a bigger one but this will have to do for now.I enjoy the heck out of it

Thanks ya'll, as for me I am a dudette too .. lol ...
I hear ya about bein hooked I am already just reading!! It looks like the possiblities are endless... here's the thing .. I better win the lotto huh!!!

Well...your not but an hour away...if you do win the lotto, I would be your bestest new friend ever....
rotlaugh.gif

now no fighting ya'll if I hit it big we'll open a huge private aquarium... then WE can swim with the fishies!!!! oh and I can get a sea turtle too ....

I have just set up my first 55G saltwater and the one piece of advice I have is to decide on whether you want a sump or not in the beginning. I wish I had bought a tank that was pre-drilled because the overflow box horror stories I hear have prevented me from putting one on my system. Also read "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner before making the big purchases and getting in to deep. The book really lets you know what you are getting in to.

Good luck :D

Back
Top Bottom