Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-08-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings from a newb with a few questions. LONG

Hi! My name is Ryan and I have been thinking about setting up an aquarium for about a while. I have finally decided to give it a whirl if you will, but I have some questions.

First, I am really set on a SW tank, FW fish just seem to lack any real color. Now, I know that this might be a mistake due to my inexperience with the world. My question here is, am I really at that large of a disadvantage?

Second, I am going to set up a 55gal tank. And I THINK I have a grasp on how the cycling process goes, so please correct me if I am wrong. I set up the tank, adding the substrate (including rocks, plants, etc.), fill with water (made to the proper salinity), hook the filters and heaters up, and drop is something to kick off the food chain (fish or a frozen shrimp). Is there anything I missed?

Third, (and thanks for sticking with me on this), If I add fish (damsels or clowns) to start everything off, I think I have a moral objection to sending a defenseless creature to its death (I am assuming of course they will die). Is there really a difference to using fish or the frozen shrimp?

Fourth and finally...should i set up a quarantine tank at the same time or wait until I get my first few fish living my main tank?

Again, thanks for reading this!

Aqualis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
well lets chat.

1. no not really. setup well and sw can be just a seasy as anything else
2. i suggest setting up a dsb of 3 inches and then 75lbs to 100 lbs of live rock, fill with ro/di water, hook up powerheads, heater and a skimmer. then add in the shrimp form the grocery store. PLEASE dont use a live fish like a clown or damsel. see the articles section for how to cycle without fish.
3. no difference except you wont have killed anything.

also buy test kits for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and ph at minimum.

also, try and be patient as the process takes a while. proper setup in the beginning will make this an enjoyable experience for you.

"The more I know, the less I understand" - Don Henley
IndyReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Ryan, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!
A 55gal tank is a great size to start with. Do not worry about not having any experience. You can learn as you go. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is to take things slow and do a lot of research. Finding this site will help you tons. I also suggest you get a good book on SW aquariums. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Cycling with the LR and shrimp will do just fine. Cycling with fish is now outdated and can be just plain cruel. Go ahead and set up a QT now. You can Qt your first easy fish while your tank is cycling. When the cycle is over your fish will be ready to go in. Good luck! Lando
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com