Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Growing Algae for a Lawnmower Blenny

Hi everyone, if you haven't seen I have been trying to feed my lawnmower blenny for a few days now.

I have tried red/green algae on clips/rocks , mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, algae wafers and some pellets. I cannot definitely say that he has eaten any of these things.

So I wanted to try and grow some algae for him somehow and continually swap it out every few days. If anybody has experience with this and is willing to share it I would greatly appreciate it . In the meantime I will continue to try fish flakes and any combination and see what works

Also, I do not have a refugium however I do have a HOB skimmer but there is not much space in there. Thank you very much and "Benny" says thank you too

Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you tried frozen foods? Mine particularly likes emerald entree, the little green cubes.

You need to try more herbivore preparations as they are not supposed to eat meat usually (mine does lol). Also, mine like flake food too, he chases down the big flakes so see if you can get his attention with that, don't crush the flakes.

Good luck

Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah the mysis was frozen and so was the brine shrimp. I also have this thing with like 4 different frozen foods, I have melted and placed them in the tank and I have not seen him eat any but I think it is important to note I am not sure any were close enough to him for long enough :T .

Herbivore preparations as in algae sheets , wafers, and flakes? ): I've tried idk what to do. I'll try the flakes today though :/ and hopefully he'll do something. Thanks carey!

Any advice on growing some algae separately for him?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Get a clip on light with a bright plant bulb from say home depot and clip it on the corner of the tank. maybe you can direct extra light on a spot and the algae will grow faster? I really have no idea, just made that up on the fly.

I don't clean the glass very often as well, especially the back glass, I leave that for my algae eating creatures. Have you seen him "kiss" the tank walls or anything in side? I mean by this he will suck at algae and leave a little kiss mark in it. He may be eating this way, thats the primary food mine eats, is by sucking up the algae.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually saw him do that very briefly yesterday on my filter tube but I don't think there is much algae there.

BUT, regarding the light thing I wanted to ask, maybe create a new thread but at work we sell these small led lights. Granted they are just lights that happen to be LEDS and I have no idea on the specifics of them but I was wondering could I just take a set home and kinda do what you're saying and shine it at a certain spot for long periods of time? Would this work
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would suggest what carey said, as because I have a scooter blenny and he spent 20 minutes clinging to my overflow "kissing" it...seems that although they are slower methodical eaters. They seem to do well on natural tank algae.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com