Growing live rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently have a 60 fowlr and I want to go bigger ... I have water from when I first started my tank 2 years ago about 20 gallons of it... I guess I never got rid of it... I want to grow my own live rock so I can get into a bigger tanks and I want to know how to go about it starting with base rock ... I'm looking to do it I expensively so any info would be great ... Do I need to hear water ... Treat it every day.... Have power head in it... How much can I grow at a time.... What's quickest way... Thanks for any help you can give...

If your simply looking to cure it you could line large garbage pails with saltwater and place the rock in their with a spare pump or multiple powerheads. Make sure you rinse the dead rock so that nothing is on it. Let it sit in the buckets testing the water parameters until the water cycles. Make sure to do water changes until the levels are even and the rocks don't turn the water yellow

Does it need to stay certain temp and does it need to have lighting

What if I'm starting w base rock how much live rock should I add to seed ... What's best way to seed

It's up to you on what you want to add. You could add one or two pieces and start using reef salt to feed the coraline. You may, if you are not testing for trace elements or adding any, purchase some purple up to assist in the process. The coraline from the live rock will start to spread to the base rock in time

I do have some purple up and I have a lot of white base rock so I think that's the way I will go ... How often should I change the water and would the corrline spread if I add more live rock pieces other than one or two or does it not matter

hey i had just gotten home and checked the water parameters to see where they are at...here they are...
sg 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20 ....this is high still for some reason water has been sitting for over a year now in the dark
high ph 8.4
phosphate .5
calcium 400 what is good level to grow corraline fast
ph 8.0
alkalinity 1.7
temp 65.4 obviousy i am going to turn this up it is low cause water has been in basement in storange container....
i have right now about 30lbs of base rock i want to put in the water..how much life rock should i get to seed is it the more the better or the more the faster and what if anything should i look out for...how often should i change the water thanks everyone i appreciate it

brainless chef that was an awesome article with alot of good information...i almost want to say forget my base rock and start from scratch like he did....we will see but thanks that was great...

Back
Top Bottom