Growing own brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2Salt

Aquarium Advice Freak
We decided to use our 5 gallon tank to raise our own brine or basically food, anyone have advice or recommend a good price on where to get eggs to get started? Thanks!

We are using a 5 gallon tank with live sand and possibly some live rock that we will be cycling, should we not be doing this just for brine? Here's the reason we have the live sand in the 5 gallon, we bought some to put in our new refugium, being that we didn't really have enough sand to take out of the existing tank, so we got some more sand, we ended up with a 20 pound bag of live sand, reason we got this is a 10 pound bag of dead sand cost the same price, we added a little to the existing tank but not all of it we didn't want to upset what we already had going.

So needless to say the 5 gallon has quite a lot of sand in it. So tempting to start a nano but would rather do something that would benefit the original tank.

Look forward to suggestions thanks! :turn-l:

Brine Shrimp

You do not need this stuff for brine shrimp actually... You can go to PetSmart or one of the larger Pet warehouses adn get the kits really cheap. You can also buy the eggs there.

You do not need sand at all. actually, the tank by itself and an airpump with an airstone just to keep water moving is all you need. Most of the eggs come with salt already in the package with the eggs. Just mix and wait...

I don't know how old you are, but, when I was a kid, they used to call brine shrimp Sea Monkeys...

Here is a link you might find interesting..

http://www.sfbb.com/technical_info/Growingbrineshrimp.htm

This is the company's web site

http://www.sfbb.com/

LOL yes I remember sea monkeys, my mother never let me get them or the magic rocks for that matter, oh my I'm dating myself here. I know we don't need the sand, but what am I supposed to do with the sand besides convincing my husband to start another tank hehehehe. Maybe I can convince him or do you think adding all that sand to our main tank would be ok? That would put us at about close to 60 pounds of live sand in our tank I just don't want to send anything back into cycling, we just got these nice corals and all the levels are fine. Hate to waste the sand. Hmm maybe a little goby in all that sand in the 5 gallon what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom