Guilty about deaths?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChosenOne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recieved my order from liveaquaria yesterday with a couple of fish, snails and hermits. Anyways a royal gramma, and cleaner shrimp and one chromis was DOA. I called them and they put it back into my credit card. But soon after that I noticed that most of my snails are dead too and some hermits. My luck huh. Luckily shipping was free. But I feel guilty about calling them and telling them about it. I guess I feel like they could be thinking I'm lying to them just to get my money back and recieve some free items. More then half the items coming in and dying through shipping common in SW? I ordered African cichlids all the time and rarely have deaths.

I’ve never had a problem with liveaquaria personally. You shouldn’t feel guilty, they were doa. It’s not like you killed them. Cichlids are nearly indestructible because they usually come from less than perfect water quality. SW fish are usually pulled from the ocean which is perfect and are put in less than perfect conditions for shipping. 50% is kind of high IMO.

Were they shipped overnight?

They were shipped overnight. I was kind of shocked at first that there were even deaths. Let alone three DOA. Alot of the snails and hermits were dead too. All I can say was the water was pretty cold even though they packed in two heatpacks. And the box was leaky because water was actually coming out of the bags opening. It wasn't tied. It was closed with a metal clamp. So I don't know if thats liveaquaria or fedex's fault for maybe putting the box upside down.

At Orange Beach we call fedex " dead x " If you get the shipment on time you are lucky. The seem to run late all the time. and have even put one of my orders out side the door in the sun in July. when I got it was a DOA for all things in the box. :evil:

bamaboy2go said:
At Orange Beach we call fedex " dead x " If you get the shipment on time you are lucky. The seem to run late all the time. and have even put one of my orders out side the door in the sun in July. when I got it was a DOA for all things in the box. :evil:

Yeah you kinda need to make sure you're gonna be home when live fish are being delivered. I have never had a problem with live aquaria so you might want to consider having them replace the order and hope this time will have better results. The deaths obviously weren't your fault though so you shouldn't feel guilty.

We were home the day the order was to be in they got it to us two days late and just put out side the door. I was lucky that the shipper had fedex pay them for lost order. The .com made the order good the next week. I went 60 miles over to fedex office to pick it up from them.

Most Of the hermits and fish that are alive are doing O.K. I'll wait one more day too see if anything else dies before i'll give them a ring. I also ordered a small algae blenny and recieved a HUGE full grown one. Seems very out of place compared to the other small fish I ordered. Which isn't a good thing to me. Wanted the fish to slowly grow together. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom