Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hanks right your problem is your water quality and maybe the lighting. How long are the lights on each day.

I would never recommend doing more than a 40% water change unless your fish were in danger. Changing that much water messes with your pH buffers and could shock and kill your fish. Do a 25% water change weekly and (as long as you don't have corals) keep the lights off for a week or so.

Understand what the algae needs. Nitrates phosphates and light. Doing water changes more often, adding a small bag of phosphate remover to the sump and kill the lights and your issues sound be as good as solved.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

Brad McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

A good battle plan.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
My lights are on 12 hours a day@ 70% intensity. I have orbit marine pro led (48 inch). Over the weekend I did a manual cleanup of sand bed, picking up as much as I could. I am posting some of the pictures of the algae so that you guys can see what I have in my tank. I will also start doing weekly water change of 5 gallons (10%).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	278603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	278604  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	278605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	278606  

ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
To get the nutrients under control. you'll probably want to do larger water changes to get them where you want to be right off the bat. If your nitrates were 40, for example, a 50% water change would bring them down to 20. 10% are simply managing the ever growing number.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

air, algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com