Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2004, 09:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hair Algae, Bio Balls and DSB???

Help! I was given a 90 gallon reef setup about 1.5 years ago and I have been constantly struggling with it. I can't seem to stop the hair algae growth. I don't know how much live rock I have, but it seems like a lot. It is stacked to the top of the aquarium from end to end. I have an overflow with a sponge filter that directs the water over some bioballs. I have a phosphate sponge and a protein skimmer. I have more than 10x flow with two powerheads. I have tried cutting back on my lighting (2X175 watt 10,000K MHs) and that helps , but then the algae comes back . It certainly seems to help when I do water changes, but I am doing the 10% per month and I don't have time or money to do much more. I have worked fairly hard to keep my chemistry correct with the help of this forum. I have reasonably good corraline algae growth. My phosphates are .03 ppm or below and my calcium is good. I can't detect any nitrates or nitrites. My substrate is the one that came with the aquarium. It is black and white and looks like crushed coral to me. I don't have very much as I remove it often when I do my cleaning.
I want to make the move to a DSB, but I would like to hear from some experienced folks to see if that is the right answer. I have also read here that bio balls can be a cause of nitrates and I am confused by that.
Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I'm a little confused. You state that you have no detectable nitrates?? What is it you are trying to reduce then?
As for the hair algae, something has to be feeding it. Hermits crabs, emerald crabs and certain snails can help you combat that. As well as a Lawnmower Blenny. My Blenny helped clean mine out within a week or 2.
I removed my bioballs (very slowly) and it brought my nitrates down. A little clarfication would help.

Old 11-20-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I was confused as well, so I decided to check my nitrates. Surprisingly to me they were very high . I hadn't checked them in over a year because in the past they had always read zero. My kit reads somewhere between 25 and 50 ppm, if I am reading the color chart correctly. Can you help me understand if the bioballs are the problem? I have read on several posts that they can be a cause of high nitrates. If this is the case, then why do people even use them? Should I go to using my live rock only or should I plan to go to a DSB?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Bioballs provide a lot of surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow on. These bacteria breakdown ammonia into nitrites and then the nitrites into nitriates. This is where the problem with bioballs begins. The bacteria that breakdown nitrates need a lower oxygen environment to grow in. These bacteria will grow deep in porous LR and also in the DSB's. Now you have LR in your tank, the problem is that the bioballs are so proficient at processing ammonia and nitrite that they overload the tank with nitrates before any of the denitrifying bacteria can process it. Over the course of a few weeks slowly remove the bioballs and allow the LR to carry out your tank's nitrogen cycle. It sounds like you should have enough LR, just be sure you've got good flow in the tank provided by pump returns or powerheads.
As to the substrate question, I would continue to remove the CC and either go bare bottom or if you want go with sand. The bare bottom would obviously be easier to setup. Crushed coral can trap detritus and also be the cause of high nitrates and phosphates.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree and make any changes slow. Try removing 1/4 of the bioballs per week and retest the water. You need to go slow to allow your biological filter to catch up with the change. After the removal of the bioballs, I would bet that you will see a big improvement. You can then evaluate if you want to add the DSB, it should not be needed IMO.
In the meantime, do a couple of water changes, that will help as well.
With all the rock you describe, it may be difficult to add a DSB without doing damage to your reef.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wonderful! Thank you for the advice.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Take a quick step backwards. The Nitrogen cycle starts with waste producing ammonia. The amount of nitrates produced by nitrification in the bio-balls is directly dependant on their food source - ammonia. The bacteria can not outproduce their food source, no matter how effective the bio-balls are!

You haven't mentioned what you have in your tank, or how much, or how often you feed - i.e. what's your bio-load?

Providing your tank isn't overstocked, your likely culprit is overfeeding. Without knowing the specifics, I would say cut back on the amount you are feeding and feed only every two to three days for about two weeks. Chances are your algae problems will disappear and your nitrates will drop significantly.

Rather than removing the bio-balls, try adding either Eheim EHFISUBSTRAT" or "Kent Nitrate Sponge" filter media to the bottom of your sump - make sure it is submerged in water. Eheim substrat media is typically used for nitrification just like bio-balls, but unlike the balls, is highly porous (made of sintered glass) and can support both aerobic nitrification but also anaerobic denitrification in low oxygen environments.

Kent Nitrate Sponge is a zeolitic material which in addition to absorbing ammonia, is also highly porous and also supports denitrification.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great! I have been wondering about that. I think I have a very light bio load and I don't feed very often, i.e. once every week. I have one fish, a spotted hawkfish, 2 brittle stars, and a red lobster. I also have a small cleaning crew of about 8 large snails and 6 blue legged hermit crabs. That is all I have right now. I have lost several fish over the last 6 months and I was considering dismantling the aquarium out of frustration. My efforts up to this point had focused on phosphate as the culprate and I think I have that one solved. I wonder if the problem didn't start this past summer when a large yellow tang died while I was on vacation. I came home and the aquarium was filled with algae. I am still scrubbing the live rock with a brush and constantly cleaning my sponge filter. I went for a couple of weeks without turning the lights on to try to get the algae to die off.

I will plan on doing as many water changes as I can over the next couple of weeks and purchase a nitrage scavenger.

I still want to go slowly towards a DSB since I think I will like the look better than a BB.

After all the information I am thinking that the high nitrates are coming from the large amount of organic material from the algae. Does this make sense? Any more advice would be most appreciated. This has been wonderful!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I'm having the same problem right now, I'm battling a nasty hair algae outbreak and dealing with the results of the algae dying off. The dying algae will decay and produce ammonia and could lead to higher than normal nitrates. I clean out the sponges in my canister every couple of days, do water changes every 2 days or so, and I try to suck out as much of the gunk as possible.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK, so what is an exceptable nitrate level and at what level is it harmful to any of my livestock? It seems to me that as long as I have bio balls I am going to be putting nitrates into the main aquarium. Why not just get rid of them and force the chemistry to take place on the live rock rather than the bio balls where the nitrates can also be broken down anaerobically. Why is there this debate or uncertainty about whether to remove them or not?

Once again, I am confused?

Thanks in advance for any clarifying replies.

awillemd1

Tags
algae, balls, bio, bio balls, dsb, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com