Hair algae outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audifusion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently dealing with a hair algae outbreak.

Everything was perfect until I added a bunch of sps corals and a few new fish.

I thought my water needed a bit more waste to feed the corals so I was feeding a lot more than twice per week for 2 -3 weeks.

Now I have hair algae covering most of the live rock, really pissing me off !

I tested for nitrate and phos , both are nearly undetectable, I guess that's because the algae is using it up?

I have a fine sand substrate that got re arranged due to 2 power heads falling off the glass over night , could that have caused an issue? my power heads are suction b/c my glass is 7/8 thick.

So now I'm not sure whether i need to take out all the rock and scrub everything down or is there something else I can do to get rid of the algae?

I was feeding with filter feeder food too, marine snow and zoo plankton, for the sea apple and torch

I'm new to all of this and I also have some hair algae on my rocks. I have an emerald crab but there's only so much he can do alone. I suppose I could add some shrimps and snails. But not feeding the fish for two or three days and blacking out the tank seems odd. Fish need to eat and the corals need the light. No? I don't mind the algae too much I think it kind of looks cool but is it bad for the tank?

Algae is the sign of building up parameters that can be deadly in the aquarium. Even the largest system can't be compared to the oceans, due to sheer water volume or the natural protein skimming on the shores.
Along with this, fish don't eat daily for the most part. We assume that a fish is like us, so it needs a 3 course meal. This is far from the truth, and ends up causing parameter issues, unsightly algae, tank crashes, and tons of frustration from those that watch their systems fail due to not understanding that they are putting those nutrients into the system and not taking them out. This is the core of the hobby! These issues can come from all over, even from the water we put into out tanks.

Back
Top Bottom