Hair algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adw77380

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank was alittle over a year old when it had to be disassembled and moved to another location. The entire set up is the same except location and did a complete water change (easier to move). It has been set-up for about 2 months now.

Problem: Green hair algae :x

Just in case the profile doesn't show what I have in my tank:

Tank: 72G SW, CC substrate, wet/dry, bio-balls, three-pass protein skimmer, about 125 lbs LR.
Fish and Invertibrates: numerous different types of hermit crabs. Had snails until last two weeks (you'll understand why next), small porcupine puffer, 1 domino damsel, 2 3-stripe damsels, 2 4-stripe damsels, 1 medium clarkii clown, and 1 undilated trigger (about size of clown).

My levels: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0-5ppm, ph 8.2, alk 1.021. Temp 82-83.

I have scrubbed every inch of LR 2 weeks ago, and it is much better. . .but I would like to prevent it from spreading again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Did your tank recycle after the move? If so, you could be going through a typical algae bloom cycle. Are you using tap water for topoffs/changes? Do your bulbs need changing? Unfortunately your tank inhabitants will not allow snails, they did a job on mine.

I would say the tank cycled. . . the levels peaked and then returned. Had the normal algae, but then was really bad. Bulbs are 3 months old at the most. Have 2 10Ks and 1 acetic 03. One ballast is broken so down to 3 (those bulbs are hard to remove, pull and it broke). Unfortunately, didn't have RO unit and used tap water (I was against it, friend set it up).

I was thinking maybe phosphates? I bought the Kent Phosphate Sponge, but haven't used it yet. Anyone use that and have good results? What about circulation, I have the main pump and then a small power head on one side (just added that after scrubbing the rock)? Also, since I don't have a RO unit, would bottled water work? My roommate and I used that on our last tank and we never had blooms or any problems with algae? And one more thing about what I read on the forum, the bio-balls. . .could I get rid of those since I have LR?

Thanks

You can do a phosphate test on your tap water. The sponge may help but not solve the problem. Don't use bottled water, check if your LFS sells water or save up for a RO or DI unit. Also, 1 small PH in a 72g is not enough. You should be pushing 10x-20x tank volume per hr. Good Luck

Agreed

Thank you.

I will be adding 2 more PHs this weekend. . . can you imagine, my friend who had this before me just had the main pump :oops: . Gosh, guess I get to call around since we don't have any LFS besides Petco within 20 miles. Sad, really.

Back
Top Bottom