Hair Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdrake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been battling a hair algae problem now for about 4 weeks. I have changed all the filters in my RO system. I have done 3 pwc of 15-25% and still can't seem to get the problem under control.

I have tested the PO4 and Nitrates and both are undetectable. The only thing I have not changed b/c I don't know if it will help is the lighting. I have tried to "black out" the tank for 4 days, but that did not seem to help much either.

All I have for lighting is regular fluorescents (blue & white). Both bulbs are about 1 year old. Would it do any good to replace the bulbs?
I really don't think overfeeding or overstocking (only 2 small clowns and a small Niger Trigger in a 90 gal.) is a problem.

Any suggestions?

If nitrates and phosphates are in check then lighting could be part of the problem, although without a nutrient source it seems off that it would still fourish.

Just because the test kit is not picking up nitrates does not mean there is no there. My friend battled HA for a long time and he used many test kits and always got a undectable readinds. There is a food source in the tank somewhere for the HA.. You are under stocked so that is not a issue, what do you feed?
Can you post a pic of the algae and the tank.. Old bulbs can help it along but it still needs food. How old is the test kit? can you have someone else check it to make sure your kit is working right..
Its possible the algae is consuming the NO3 and it is so low the test kit is not picking it up..

Test the water right at the hair algae. Take a piece of rock out rip as much HA off as you can and stick the rock in the microwave for about 30 seconds on high. (it will smell like spinach Yuk) Then rinse the rock off and place it back in the tank. What kind of critters do you have? You will need a lot of hermits and snails to clean the rock up. This works for Valonia algae too.

angelscrx said:
. Take a piece of rock out rip as much HA off as you can and stick the rock in the microwave for about 30 seconds on high. (it will smell like spinach Yuk) Then rinse the rock off and place it back in the tank.
That's a good recipe for an ammonia and/or nitrite bloom in your tank.

Controlling nitrate and PO4 is the cure, along w/ manual removal of the HA. HTH

Thanks for the replys. I guess I'll continue to search for the food source. I'll probably get another test kit and check it.

Back
Top Bottom