Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hair Algae Problem

I have been battling a hair algae problem now for about 4 weeks. I have changed all the filters in my RO system. I have done 3 pwc of 15-25% and still can't seem to get the problem under control.

I have tested the PO4 and Nitrates and both are undetectable. The only thing I have not changed b/c I don't know if it will help is the lighting. I have tried to "black out" the tank for 4 days, but that did not seem to help much either.

All I have for lighting is regular fluorescents (blue & white). Both bulbs are about 1 year old. Would it do any good to replace the bulbs?
I really don't think overfeeding or overstocking (only 2 small clowns and a small Niger Trigger in a 90 gal.) is a problem.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If nitrates and phosphates are in check then lighting could be part of the problem, although without a nutrient source it seems off that it would still fourish.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just because the test kit is not picking up nitrates does not mean there is no there. My friend battled HA for a long time and he used many test kits and always got a undectable readinds. There is a food source in the tank somewhere for the HA.. You are under stocked so that is not a issue, what do you feed?
Can you post a pic of the algae and the tank.. Old bulbs can help it along but it still needs food. How old is the test kit? can you have someone else check it to make sure your kit is working right..
Its possible the algae is consuming the NO3 and it is so low the test kit is not picking it up..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Test the water right at the hair algae. Take a piece of rock out rip as much HA off as you can and stick the rock in the microwave for about 30 seconds on high. (it will smell like spinach Yuk) Then rinse the rock off and place it back in the tank. What kind of critters do you have? You will need a lot of hermits and snails to clean the rock up. This works for Valonia algae too.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscrx
. Take a piece of rock out rip as much HA off as you can and stick the rock in the microwave for about 30 seconds on high. (it will smell like spinach Yuk) Then rinse the rock off and place it back in the tank.
That's a good recipe for an ammonia and/or nitrite bloom in your tank.

Controlling nitrate and PO4 is the cure, along w/ manual removal of the HA. HTH
Old 03-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the replys. I guess I'll continue to search for the food source. I'll probably get another test kit and check it.

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com