Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh ha ha. Yes very good. If the water is a problem though, I guess there are few solutions. Such as telling them, going somewhere else, or buying a RO unit for myself.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have some in a container downstairs. I will test it soon.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah. In the long run getting your own unit is probably cheaper and better since you know your source. Hair algae is common when using tap water but it all depends on parameters. Some tap water may not have as many impurities in it.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm currently saving up for a ro/di unit. They can be had on ebay for about $100 US.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Where would you put it? Can these things attach to taps for use overnight?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I plan on hooking mine up in the garage next to the hot water heater. That way the water lines and drain are all close by. I have no room under my kitchen sink or in my laundry room
Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hair algae is always a pest I think it is a requirement at the 3 month mark its like a Reef gods test of your commitment to the hobby. I passed the test and this is how I did it.
1. Granular Ferric Oxcide GFO but I used it in a DIY reactor
2. Manual removal of the algea as much as you can at a time while doing a water change. Shut off all of your pumps and pull off tha algae and suck it out with a siphon.
3. RODI water is a must. Dont skimp on it get a unit for your self especially if you have a larger tank it will pay for it self in no time just in gas for trips to the LFS
4. Dont overfeed, if you think you arent overfeeding you probably still are overfeeding.
5 test your water in the morning before the lights come on the day after you clean out as much algea as you can. This will give you a better reading on phosphate levels as the GHA hasnt had time to consume what is in the water column
6 be persistent
7 Natural algae eaters are helpful but you must fix the base issue, seahares and urchins are both great at removal.
8 try to stay away from chemical herbicides
9 set up a fuge and run a macro, any algae that you can grow to outcompete the GHA for nutrients is a great way to starve out the GHA.

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

How long are you keeping your lights on? Try cutting back on lighting a few hours. Keeping your lights on for 4-6 hours a day for a few days to a week won't hurt anything in the tank.

Yeah, hair algae is a pain and can come from a number of things though. You have to find what's feeding it or it WILL take over. Until then, keep on picking lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check ur calcium levels. By raising ur calcium level it kills the hair algae. Also check ur phosphate levels. They sell a product that is concentrated calcium that u put on it and it kills the hair algae u just have to be careful not to get it on the corals
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

calcium? magnesium works if its bryopsis and not GHA.

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com