Hair algae taking over tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I've cleaned it up things seem a lot better. It's like more hair algae feeds more hair algae!

Regarding the sea hare, I heard they can be a problem if they get sick or trapped

5 steps to killing hair algae
1. Reduce light
2. Reduce feedings
3. Bulk up your CUC with turbo snails
4. Pick it off manualy (make sure you dip your hand in clean water everytime you pick a part off)
5. Let the turbo snails do their job

It worked for me!!

I'm thinking of getting a lawnmower blenny.

I have 6 turbo and a load of hermits but I guess that's not enough.

Any phosphates are a problem. Gotta get it to zero. Maybe try an RO/DI unit or a phosphate reactor if you've got sump room. Sorry if this was bought up before. I didn't read all the previous pages. :)

The pre salted water I'm getting has phosphates of about 0.25 My tank water is about the same. Could this be due to the marine salt mix or is it more likely due to their ro unit?

very well could be, which is why many people say its best to get your own... if you cant maybe try a different store and test it before you leave.

Hi, I tested the RO water I get from the shop and it seems it's very low in phosphates. Could it be maybe trace elements from the salt they are using?

Attachments

• image-310922218.jpg
    image-310922218.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 68
So really now, it could be the salt mix they are using. I have a bucket of Red Sea Pro salt but I've only done it twice.

Is it possible one of my rocks is leaching phosphates? One rock in particular gets the algae first - all over it. He's down the bottom of tank too, so not up there with the lights.

Blennys are kind of hit and miss. I like long spine urchins mine does a great job. I too have a rock that gets GHA its the only one in the tank... and its funny to watch the urchin always at that rock eatin nom nom... Good luck. 2 little fishes makes a phosban reactor that is rumored to work fantasticaly.

I think it's a salifert phosphate test kit. My next port of call is to the shop and they can do a full test on my water in order to double check my kits.

I've just done another clean out but I don't think I could put up with it every weekend. A water change is one thing but when you have to scrub the rocks each week that's another.

I'm pretty p***sed about the algae blenny. I thought he would chomp it up. He tried it at first and I thought I was onto a winner. But then he spat it out and that was that. He looks thinner now :-(

Booooooooo!!!

Are the urchins ok in a small tank like mine (130L). Do they have any specific feeding requirements?

Back
Top Bottom