Hair Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reef79 said:
Sand is 10+ years old very few new rocks 90% of rock is 10+ years old

Watch this video;

Also there was a thread on mature systems on reefcenteral I will find it again and post the link.

I've heard electric blue Hermite crabs work well two.

I have friend that has a hair algae problem that I am helping them with. The first thing i did was pull out as much as I could by hand and then added some turbos and 2 big electric blue Hermite crabs. ( I did this yesterday)
I also shot off their lighting for the past week. They have an established fowlr tank about 18 months old. They only use tap water and refuse to get an ro/di. once I get mine I'll give them some ro/di to do their water changes.

How about adding a tang of some sort to eat up the hair algae. I've heard many good things.

Regards,

Joe

I will post some pics tomorrow lights are off for the night I have a coral buety Which eats hair algea just not near enough Ive held off from tangs because its only 55gal worried they will outgrow it to fast if u go back in the thread you will see my list of janitor's

ForumRunner_20120401_161526.jpg

ForumRunner_20120401_161526.jpg

ForumRunner_20120401_161605.jpg

ForumRunner_20120401_161617.jpg

Here's some pics of my algea covered 55 gal

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120401_161547.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120401_161547.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 87
Get a sea hare he'll tear that stuff up, I had a bad outbreak in my 29g Bio cube and one sea hare had it clean in a few weeks :)

That's awesome and sea hate will clean it up for sure but it's temp. Solution.
Still u need to find the cause. I think u r having old tank syndrome

I don't know I've tried everything I'm waiting for my 180 to get up a few weeks and I'm gonna scrub down rock that corals are on and move them first and then ill move my fish over only have three

dude that outbreak is bad!!!! do not use that rock in your new system !!! even after u scrub it don't use it

ok good to hear good luck. I wud like to upgrade my 55 to a 90 as well

There was a thread I read while back on ridding your rock of phosphates. I will find and post the link.

Also upgrading to my 90 gallon too. Have a lot of question but not enough people replying :(

Hair algea is now blowing off the rocks I cut light back to five hours per day on Monday seems like this will keep it down but the coral I think needs more than light than that I'm watching them every day until I can transfer them to the 180

Back
Top Bottom