Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

half cycled - nasty shrimp

Well, I've begun to cycle my tank, and after one week my jumbo shrimp has turned pretty nasty. The shrimp is now pink, much like after you cook it. (Why is that?) It's also doing a good job of stinking up the place. If you looked at it, you'll see all this white stuff growing on it. My bio-wheel also has started to display some "white" stuff, which I suppose is bacteria that I want.

at what point can I take our the shrimp (if at all). It stinks, and looks terrible. Or should i just put up with it and wait til it turns to jello and completely decomposes?

My water is clearing up some...but slowly. I'm also taking a turkey baster to "wash" some of the sand that has settled on powerheads, fake plants, etc. That's making the water cloudy again. Is it just a endless wait?

Old 09-30-2003, 11:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

id put in some ls and lr if u dont want the place to stink up. the rocks and sand with soak up the ammonia and help cylce it faster

Old 10-01-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
that is nasty I totally went with using damsels to cycle the tank, it's been going for a month with no casualties. I'm glad I didnt do the 'shrimp cycling'. I'd take it out IMO, test the water, and put in a couple damsels. GL

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What is your ammonia level in the tank at this point?

Trigger, ethicly I cant condone cycling with damsels. Its like asking people to live in a sewer. But thats me.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It's been probably one to two weeks now since the shrimp first went in. The readings at this point are:

ammonia: 3.0 mg/l
nitrite: 3.3 mg/l
KH: 14 dh
pH: 7.7

the power filter is on, as well as one powerhead
Old 10-02-2003, 09:23 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
since the shrimp first went in
How many shrimp have you added? What size tank is this?

Im gonna go out on a limb and say yes you can exum the shrimp thats in the tank. Properly dispose of it outside some place. You have ample ammonia and nitrite levels to complete the cycle.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com