Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hammer coral

When is a good time to add a hammer coral ?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If the tank is cycled, stable water parameters and good lighting you can add anytime.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
If the tank is cycled, stable water parameters and good lighting you can add anytime.
What do you mean by stable sorry I am a noob meaning like stable calc alkalinity nitrate ect?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Nitrates. If you do weekly water changes the alk and calc will be fine.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Nitrates. If you do weekly water changes the alk and calc will be fine.
what lights would you recommenced i use these for a 20g x high tank

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxyhydro-tr...ds=galaxyhydro
Old 07-01-2015, 04:14 AM   #6

A light with focus on lots of blue would be my best recommendation. I have had great success with Kessil.

I'd like to say magnesium is pretty important for these guys. They are also quick growers in my opinion and will take up calcium and carbonates (kh) from the water quickly in a 20g environment as they grow their hard skeleton.. (As you see more growth do more water changes haha)

Luckily for you the practice of 5-10g water changes weekly is actually a good way to restore elements in a balance ratio. The use of salts with higher kh, ca, and mg would be of benefit to you. Such as the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals version. You could also use, for example, Instant Ocean Regular Salt Mix and dose your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium all in dry powder forms both during watcher changes and during the middle of the week. Should you choose to skip a water change or do a smaller change than normal (say 5g instead of 10g) just dose these elements slightly more significantly.

I also can't blindly tell you to dose without encouraging you to get a test kit for these elements. Red Sea has a good one. However, you would surely be safe with just 1 or 2 doses of all 3 elements (come on don't prove me wrong and dump way too much for how much coral you have) I mentioned without testing if not just for the continued growth of coralline algae. Corals would prefer the stability achieved from more frequent smaller, ideally daily, doses of elements.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
A light with focus on lots of blue would be my best recommendation. I have had great success with Kessil.

I'd like to say magnesium is pretty important for these guys. They are also quick growers in my opinion and will take up calcium and carbonates (kh) from the water quickly in a 20g environment as they grow their hard skeleton.. (As you see more growth do more water changes haha)

Luckily for you the practice of 5-10g water changes weekly is actually a good way to restore elements in a balance ratio. The use of salts with higher kh, ca, and mg would be of benefit to you. Such as the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals version. You could also use, for example, Instant Ocean Regular Salt Mix and dose your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium all in dry powder forms both during watcher changes and during the middle of the week. Should you choose to skip a water change or do a smaller change than normal (say 5g instead of 10g) just dose these elements slightly more significantly.

I also can't blindly tell you to dose without encouraging you to get a test kit for these elements. Red Sea has a good one. However, you would surely be safe with just 1 or 2 doses of all 3 elements (come on don't prove me wrong and dump way too much for how much coral you have) I mentioned without testing if not just for the continued growth of coralline algae. Corals would prefer the stability achieved from more frequent smaller, ideally daily, doses of elements.
I do a 5g water change every week ever since my cycle was done and I use the instance ocean crystals I had my tank for about almost 3months

Sent from my XT1528 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You should be fine to add it now. You won't need to add anything for quite some time unless this is a large colony. A 2 or 3 headed frag should be able to be supported by water changes alone.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil26 View Post
I do a 5g water change every week ever since my cycle was done and I use the instance ocean crystals I had my tank for about almost 3months

Sent from my XT1528 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You could probably hold off on dosing. I'd look into things like fatty acids, and other coral supplements not in salt mix.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Just feed the fish and you'll be fine.

Tags
coral, hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com