Hammer coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A light with focus on lots of blue would be my best recommendation. I have had great success with Kessil.

I'd like to say magnesium is pretty important for these guys. They are also quick growers in my opinion and will take up calcium and carbonates (kh) from the water quickly in a 20g environment as they grow their hard skeleton.. (As you see more growth do more water changes haha)

Luckily for you the practice of 5-10g water changes weekly is actually a good way to restore elements in a balance ratio. The use of salts with higher kh, ca, and mg would be of benefit to you. Such as the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals version. You could also use, for example, Instant Ocean Regular Salt Mix and dose your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium all in dry powder forms both during watcher changes and during the middle of the week. Should you choose to skip a water change or do a smaller change than normal (say 5g instead of 10g) just dose these elements slightly more significantly.

I also can't blindly tell you to dose without encouraging you to get a test kit for these elements. Red Sea has a good one. However, you would surely be safe with just 1 or 2 doses of all 3 elements (come on don't prove me wrong and dump way too much for how much coral you have) I mentioned without testing if not just for the continued growth of coralline algae. Corals would prefer the stability achieved from more frequent smaller, ideally daily, doses of elements.

A light with focus on lots of blue would be my best recommendation. I have had great success with Kessil.

I'd like to say magnesium is pretty important for these guys. They are also quick growers in my opinion and will take up calcium and carbonates (kh) from the water quickly in a 20g environment as they grow their hard skeleton.. (As you see more growth do more water changes haha)

Luckily for you the practice of 5-10g water changes weekly is actually a good way to restore elements in a balance ratio. The use of salts with higher kh, ca, and mg would be of benefit to you. Such as the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals version. You could also use, for example, Instant Ocean Regular Salt Mix and dose your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium all in dry powder forms both during watcher changes and during the middle of the week. Should you choose to skip a water change or do a smaller change than normal (say 5g instead of 10g) just dose these elements slightly more significantly.

I also can't blindly tell you to dose without encouraging you to get a test kit for these elements. Red Sea has a good one. However, you would surely be safe with just 1 or 2 doses of all 3 elements (come on don't prove me wrong and dump way too much for how much coral you have) I mentioned without testing if not just for the continued growth of coralline algae. Corals would prefer the stability achieved from more frequent smaller, ideally daily, doses of elements.

I do a 5g water change every week ever since my cycle was done and I use the instance ocean crystals I had my tank for about almost 3months

Sent from my XT1528 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should be fine to add it now. You won't need to add anything for quite some time unless this is a large colony. A 2 or 3 headed frag should be able to be supported by water changes alone.

I do a 5g water change every week ever since my cycle was done and I use the instance ocean crystals I had my tank for about almost 3months

You could probably hold off on dosing. I'd look into things like fatty acids, and other coral supplements not in salt mix.

OK now that I have the covered what the recommended phosphate 0.03? I have mine at 0.25 buts the api test kit which alot of ppl have said is useless when it comes to phosphate

OK now that I have the covered what the recommended phosphate 0.03? I have mine at 0.25 buts the api test kit which alot of ppl have said is useless when it comes to phosphate

I wouldn't be worried about phosphate.. It's pretty important for corals actually. I would not recommend aiming for a phosphate level to maintain but rather just keep your tank clean and accommodate the corals in other specific areas

that is the exact light I have on my 50 gallon and my torch and hammer are doing excellent.
you have the lighting covered. (y)

Hey PB. I just got these lights for my biocube 29. Do you have an idea of the percentage of light I should be using? My lights are about 8in from the water surface. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom