Handful of Q's from a n00b...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great, thanks.

They're inflating like crazy during light hours. They've looked to be getting progressively healthier day to day, but I understand that can all turn upside down in a flash.

Really appreciate all the help everyone.

One dead hermit. Corals still look healthy. Invert death within a week a sign of cycle issues? Or is this common?

Are you sure it's dead or did it just moly and that'sthe she'll you see! I thought my emerald was dead once and it turned out to be its shell. Lol

Just be patient and test your water regularly. You may be fine, it's not unheard of to have a tank cycle in 3 weeks but without an amonia source I would be a little concerned. I would wait on fish for a while until your certain the tank can handle the bioload. Like people have mentioned, throw a shrimp in there and see where amo, trites, and trates test at. Just remember to test regularly.

Definitely a crab carcass, not the shell. And the bottled bacteria was supposed to be my ammonia source.

With tossing the shrimp in--if the tank did not go through the amo cycle yet would the shrimp spike the amo and then kill my coral?

Definitely a crab carcass, not the shell. And the bottled bacteria was supposed to be my ammonia source.

With tossing the shrimp in--if the tank did not go through the amo cycle yet would the shrimp spike the amo and then kill my coral?

If the bacteria bottle worked then you should be fine and you won't see your Amonia go up. Plus you said you have some lr already. So in my own personal opinion (not knowing, or remembering how much lr you have) I think you will be ok.
This is my own opinion and probably won't jive with every or maybe even most members here (most of which are far more knowledgeable than I).

I would not add anything else until you are 100% certain though and only time will ultimately tell if you are going to have any problems with the corals. Test test test.... When in doubt, test again.

The bottled bacteria is not intended to be your ammo source they are supposed to help you bring in the bacteria to process the ammo and nitrites

The bottled bacteria is not intended to be your ammo source they are supposed to help you bring in the bacteria to process the ammo and nitrites

True but in many cases the live rock will have a little die off of inhabitants when added to a new tank creating an Amonia spike of some sort... I've read that it could create a mini-cycle when adding to already cycled tanks also. I just don't know if it was enough.

z_dano said:
True but in many cases the live rock will have a little die off of inhabitants when added to a new tank creating an Amonia spike of some sort... I've read that it could create a mini-cycle when adding to already cycled tanks also. I just don't know if it was enough.

Bottles bacteria is not an ammonia source. Live rock also is not a significant ammonia source and might not be much of one at all depending on die off levels. Most times this is minimal unless kept out of water for a extended period.

Any cycle without a significant ammonia source is not a true cycle and usually will result in a cycle upon adding fish.

Test your water daily and have 50% water change water ready to lower any spikes that will occur in ammonia levels.

Yes I used live sand. Dumped the bottle a couple of days after letting the substrate settle. The LFS dude told me this would be sufficient to cycle the tank if I let it sit for 2-3 weeks. That's what I did, and clearly he left out major steps to the process, the biggest one being that I did not test at all during the cycle process.

z_dano--That's what I'm saying, if it DID cycle then the shrimp won't produce an ammonia spike. BUT if it did NOT cycle will this kill my coral????

Gordo15 said:
Yes I used live sand. Dumped the bottle a couple of days after letting the substrate settle. The LFS dude told me this would be sufficient to cycle the tank if I let it sit for 2-3 weeks. That's what I did, and clearly he left out major steps to the process, the biggest one being that I did not test at all during the cycle process.

z_dano--That's what I'm saying, if it DID cycle then the shrimp won't produce an ammonia spike. BUT if it did NOT cycle will this kill my coral????

Even if it did cycle, with no ammonia source it did not cycle properly to build up sufficient bacteria colonies. So putting the shrimp in no matter what will cause an ammonia spike. Hence why you only have 10ppm nitrates, after a proper cycle it should be more like 50-100ppm or so.

And yes an ammonia spike will likely be the end of your corals.

Ok thank you. I think my best option is to remove the corals, bring them back to the LFS and store them there until I properly cycle the tank with absolutely no doubts.

I really appreciate the help everyone. Such an involved, intricate process. Even though I screwed this up a bit, I'm really enjoying the learning process. Hopefully there will be no casualties.

Gordo15 said:

Also the bottles bacteria only work in conjunction with an ammonia source ie. fish. This is the main reason it is used (for fish-in cycles).

Also heat and flow are important to allow the cycle to occur and with just sand in the tank, no heater and no flow probably means not much occured.

Gordo15 said:
Ok thank you. I think my best option is to remove the corals, bring them back to the LFS and store them there until I properly cycle the tank with absolutely no doubts.

I really appreciate the help everyone. Such an involved, intricate process. Even though I screwed this up a bit, I'm really enjoying the learning process. Hopefully there will be no casualties.

I think that is your best option also. And it would ensure they didnt die. Pop in a raw shrimp when the corals are out and let it cycle. Or you can dose pure household ammonia to 4ppm. Just make sure this time you monitor levels daily if possible.

Also the bottles bacteria only work in conjunction with an ammonia source ie. fish. This is the main reason it is used (for fish-in cycles).

Also heat and flow are important to allow the cycle to occur and with just sand in the tank, no heater and no flow probably means not much occured.

Had heat and flow the whole time too. Just no rock. Rock, corals, and inverts ALL went in same day, per LFS employee's approval. Oops.

I think that is your best option also. And it would ensure they didnt die. Pop in a raw shrimp when the corals are out and let it cycle. Or you can dose pure household ammonia to 4ppm. Just make sure this time you monitor levels daily if possible.

Will do. Monitor monitor monitor monitor monitor.........

Gordo15 said:
Had heat and flow the whole time too. Just no rock. Rock, corals, and inverts ALL went in same day, per LFS employee's approval. Oops.

Ah, yeah just be careful of fish stores they really push their products, and often times without care for the animals involved. Its a very competitive business.

Ah, yeah just be careful of fish stores they really push their products, and often times without care for the animals involved. Its a very competitive business.

Good call. Starting to realize that. Good thing about this place is it's right around the corner from my place, so I'll be popping in frequently. Also of all places I've been they have by far the healthiest looking corals. Great prices too. They'd be morons to take advantage of a potential great, repeat customer. And I'm going to let them know that. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom