Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

So how long exactly did the tank cycle?

Also the bacteria in a bottle was another BS move by the LFS. Most of the "instant cycle" stuff is for Freshwater and is a joke.

I let my 60gal cycle for over a month before I added anything at all to it. My nano 4g cycled for 2 months before anything went in.

What is the LFS you have been buying from and takin advice from? From the sound of it I would no longer take any of their advice without a second opinion. They don't seem to be out for the animals best interest, they just want profit.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

**** it. Place is called New Fish in Chicago. But like I said the equipment and bacteria was bought from a different location, just the rock and coral were bought at New Fish. Sad thing is--I'm extremely patient. I had no issues kicking back and waiting to insure everything would be done right. Wish I would've hopped in these forums from the start.

That being said there is still a chance everything will be fine. I guess I'll just let the tank do its thing for awhile, test the water daily, and take it from there. If problems arise with parameters or if things start visibly deteriorating then I will react accordingly.

I appreciate your insight. I'm going to post frequent updates in here and hope to continually get advice.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #13

The tank cycled for 2 1/2 weeks before adding the rock and coral.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know a lot of people here are against the bottled bacteria, and in some cases, for good readon, as a lot if it is bad. BUT...The bottled bacteria, depending on the brand, might have helped. My understanding is that it generally needs an ammonia source to feed on, so it is usually done with a fish or two in there, depending on tank size, and you end up with about a week cycle instead of 4-6 weeks. I am a fan of Dr Tim's "One & Only". It is not sold everywhere, but can be ordered online. Their site has lots of info.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but couldn't he dose with ammonia to 4ppm and see if it drops within 24 hours? That would answer the "cycled or not" question. Then, if its not cycled, I would suggest a "fish in" cycle, but I'd buy Dr Tim's, so the cycle is quick and stresses everything out less over less time. You can do hearty fish (Chromis, clowns, etc) with Dr Tim's too, so you are not stuck with aggressive damsels.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but couldn't he dose with ammonia to 4ppm and see if it drops within 24 hours? That would answer the "cycled or not" question. Then, if its not cycled, I would suggest a "fish in" cycle, but I'd buy Dr Tim's, so the cycle is quick and stresses everything out less over less time. You can do hearty fish (Chromis, clowns, etc) with Dr Tim's too, so you are not stuck with aggressive damsels.
Dosing ammonia to with livestock in the tank will kill the livestock.

A tank cycles to the bioload it is given. Since he had next to zero bioload with near zero ammonia source his tank may have cycled but not to the extent that is need to prevent ammonia spikes upon adding fish. Adding fish at this point would likely create a large enough cycle for a big ammonia spike and in turn the coral most likely all inverts are toast. Fish can tolerate ammonia better but water changes will be needed and testing to prevent ammonia from becoming to high.

If you had nothing live in your tank besides sand and live rock this would be a simple fix. The coral and inverts complicates the problem.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's still hope! Don't give up!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #17

Haha absolutely no way I'm giving up! I think I'm going to ask that I keep my coral back in the store's tanks until I know I've had a proper cycle. At the end of the day they mis-informed me, or at least lacked necessary knowledge, so while everything is still alive and kickin this is the most reasonable solution imo.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like Schism pointed out, dosing now would probably be a bad idea. I suppose that if I were in this situation, I'd add a cocktail shrimp. I know the crabs and snails will eat it, but a little rotting shrimp and some invert poo is certainly better than nothing. Perhaps begin feeding your cleanup crew... and by feeding I mean overfeeding. Taking it slow, of course, and testing the big three (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) daily. When it comes time to add fish, add one and only one. Continue daily testing to be sure.
I personally have had great success with bottled bacteria, from two different brands. I have a week cycle and an instant cycle. Your mileage may vary.
The important thing is to increase your bioload very slowly.
If its possible to move the corals for now, I would. But if not, well... tread with care.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #19

Thanks Mac, that's exactly what I'll do then. Just regular old cocktail shrimp eh? Any early signs to pick up on if the corals are suffering? Like I said they look great right now approaching a week.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure it's not seasoned. LOL But yeah, just a plain old cocktail shrimp. Warning, anything not quickly eaten will start to smell.
Unhappy corals inflate less. Watch for trends in how much they inflate on a daily basis. But keeping an eye on water quality will give you just as much warning as that will.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
n00b

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com