Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dano

True but in many cases the live rock will have a little die off of inhabitants when added to a new tank creating an Amonia spike of some sort... I've read that it could create a mini-cycle when adding to already cycled tanks also. I just don't know if it was enough.
Bottles bacteria is not an ammonia source. Live rock also is not a significant ammonia source and might not be much of one at all depending on die off levels. Most times this is minimal unless kept out of water for a extended period.

Any cycle without a significant ammonia source is not a true cycle and usually will result in a cycle upon adding fish.

Test your water daily and have 50% water change water ready to lower any spikes that will occur in ammonia levels.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes I used live sand. Dumped the bottle a couple of days after letting the substrate settle. The LFS dude told me this would be sufficient to cycle the tank if I let it sit for 2-3 weeks. That's what I did, and clearly he left out major steps to the process, the biggest one being that I did not test at all during the cycle process.

z_dano--That's what I'm saying, if it DID cycle then the shrimp won't produce an ammonia spike. BUT if it did NOT cycle will this kill my coral????

Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo15
Yes I used live sand. Dumped the bottle a couple of days after letting the substrate settle. The LFS dude told me this would be sufficient to cycle the tank if I let it sit for 2-3 weeks. That's what I did, and clearly he left out major steps to the process, the biggest one being that I did not test at all during the cycle process.

z_dano--That's what I'm saying, if it DID cycle then the shrimp won't produce an ammonia spike. BUT if it did NOT cycle will this kill my coral????
Even if it did cycle, with no ammonia source it did not cycle properly to build up sufficient bacteria colonies. So putting the shrimp in no matter what will cause an ammonia spike. Hence why you only have 10ppm nitrates, after a proper cycle it should be more like 50-100ppm or so.

And yes an ammonia spike will likely be the end of your corals.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #34

Ok thank you. I think my best option is to remove the corals, bring them back to the LFS and store them there until I properly cycle the tank with absolutely no doubts.

I really appreciate the help everyone. Such an involved, intricate process. Even though I screwed this up a bit, I'm really enjoying the learning process. Hopefully there will be no casualties.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Also the bottles bacteria only work in conjunction with an ammonia source ie. fish. This is the main reason it is used (for fish-in cycles).

Also heat and flow are important to allow the cycle to occur and with just sand in the tank, no heater and no flow probably means not much occured.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok thank you. I think my best option is to remove the corals, bring them back to the LFS and store them there until I properly cycle the tank with absolutely no doubts.

I really appreciate the help everyone. Such an involved, intricate process. Even though I screwed this up a bit, I'm really enjoying the learning process. Hopefully there will be no casualties.
I think that is your best option also. And it would ensure they didnt die. Pop in a raw shrimp when the corals are out and let it cycle. Or you can dose pure household ammonia to 4ppm. Just make sure this time you monitor levels daily if possible.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Also the bottles bacteria only work in conjunction with an ammonia source ie. fish. This is the main reason it is used (for fish-in cycles).

Also heat and flow are important to allow the cycle to occur and with just sand in the tank, no heater and no flow probably means not much occured.
Had heat and flow the whole time too. Just no rock. Rock, corals, and inverts ALL went in same day, per LFS employee's approval. Oops.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #38

Quote:
I think that is your best option also. And it would ensure they didnt die. Pop in a raw shrimp when the corals are out and let it cycle. Or you can dose pure household ammonia to 4ppm. Just make sure this time you monitor levels daily if possible.
Will do. Monitor monitor monitor monitor monitor.........
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Had heat and flow the whole time too. Just no rock. Rock, corals, and inverts ALL went in same day, per LFS employee's approval. Oops.
Ah, yeah just be careful of fish stores they really push their products, and often times without care for the animals involved. Its a very competitive business.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Ah, yeah just be careful of fish stores they really push their products, and often times without care for the animals involved. Its a very competitive business.
Good call. Starting to realize that. Good thing about this place is it's right around the corner from my place, so I'll be popping in frequently. Also of all places I've been they have by far the healthiest looking corals. Great prices too. They'd be morons to take advantage of a potential great, repeat customer. And I'm going to let them know that.

Tags
n00b

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com