Hang on Refugium??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hey all,

As some of you know I am setting up my first saltwater tank in a few weeks.

I am going with LR, Skimmer, and PH.

What are the benefits of a hang on refugium like this one. I am thinking of buying it, however I don't know what it does..LOL

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

I really don't understand about the pods, macroalgae......Is this beneficial for me to buy since I am not using a sump? I would extremely appreciate it if someone could explain the purpose of this and give me some advice.

Thank You

I really don't understand about the pods, macroalgae

Macroalgae competes with nuisance microalgae for nutrients and provides scavenging herbivores with a good food supply. I like to think of pods as being the large base of the aquarium food chain. They provide a good food source for larger critters and perform a basic cleaning function.

I've never had a HOB fuge before but I'm sure you'll find people who'll argue for and against them. If nothing else, It will provide a little more water volume and a place to put your macros and mud. What size tank are you doing this with?

HTH...and good luck with the new SW experiment. I've found that it's a whole new level of aquarium nerdiness.

Looks pretty good Mike. Put some Macro in there and they`ll take care of your excess nutrients that feeds bad algea. What size tank do you have?

Hang on Ref

Well I was suppose to be converting a fresh 29, but since I have bought eqip. that can handle a bigger tank I have decided to keep the 29 fresh and buy either a 40 or 55

What else can I put in there. Some LR rubble for more filtration?
WIll pods frow there since I want to run a UV in the main tank?

Good choice on going with a bigger tank; I think you'll be happier with that in the long run. I don't know if you could put enough LR rubble in the fuge to make a noticeable difference in filtration, but it won't hurt anything either. And pods should grow whether you have a UV or not.

Back
Top Bottom