Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

hang-on Refugiums

Hello all,

I was hoping that some one could explain to me the pros and cons of hang-on Refugiums. I find them very interesting and I'm researching them now. I thought I might ask the forum as well, because alot of the info I'm finding is bias.

FYI, I have a 75gal reef I'm thinking of adding a hang-on refugium to.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I'll be watching this thread...
I have a 55 and thinkign about adding a under tank fuge... SOmething to hide my skimmer and HOB Emperor.
Not even sure if I NEED one...
WHY have one?
I have 55 pounds of live sand and 90 lbs of LR...

Old 07-16-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't think that there is a con to a HOB fuge. other then the size. You would really want a good sized fuge(10%) to export more nutrients from the water... Also A fuge is great for stabilizing you PH at night if you run them on a reverse cycle. i.e run the fuge light at night to keep the photoperiod going which keep your PH up. Without a fuge if you cut the lights out on your tank your PH will drop. This doesn't make certain things happy(line anemones).

HTH
Old 07-16-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXFirefighter
Not even sure if I NEED one...
You don't "NEED" one. But you there's no reason NOT to have one either
Quote:
WHY have one?
why NOT? the only down-side to a sump/fuge that I can think of and IMO, is plumbing. Plumbing adds a risk factor you wouldn't normaly have with just a single tank system. A HOT fuge obviously reduces this risk. IMO the simple biggest plus to having a Fuge/Sump is additional water volume. If all you did was plumb a 20 gallon tank to your 55 and put nothing in it.. you would still gain some benifit from it. Additional water volume makes the water parameters more stable in all ways. (temp, Sg, chem levels etc). Then add to that the fact you can put heaters and other equip you don't want to see in the display tank.. thats a plus. Now add that you can more easily do water changes/top-offs more easily if you include that in your plumbing... thats a plus. Now add the ability to put more sand in the bottom of the tank, that gives you more bio-filtration... thats a plus. Now add some macro-algae and a light this helps keep neusance algae in the display tank down... thats a plus... I think you see where i'm going with this

now in regards to the HOT fuges... IMO, they're a little small to make the fuge part really useful, but as I state above, anything extra is benificial... but weighing the cost to benifit, I dunno if a HOT fuge is worth the cost (unless you can get a good deal in which case I say go for it )
Old 07-16-2004, 03:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Cool thanks Billy...
So now it looks like I need to find how to plumb one into my 55...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

minimal install is a HOT overflow, Return Pump and PVC pipe to match the overflow and Pump.

Slightly better install is Drilling the tank instead of using a HOT (this is a little more adventurous and must be done carefully)

Using either of the above you can be creative with both the overflow plumbing and return plumbing. You can put in T's and valves for doing water changes or auto top-offs. And put in T's and valves to return the water in multiple places (to replace one or more PHs in the tank [again, less visible equip])
Old 07-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

So... is it better to get a higher GPM pump ? can you overkill it ? If the pump dies or power goes out, what stops the water from dumping into the fuge? I know it'll suck air after so much water, but how much will it overflow?

For now, can I just put a 20 gallon tank under my main and put my skimmer, filter and heater ? How do I section off the compartments?
Old 07-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
alright so is there a point when it is too much? i have a 46 gal tank and would like to make a fuge out of a 20 gal tall tank. i find that it will be about 100 for every thing i will need to replace the sump i ahev now. every thing but the skimmer. and will use the over flow from the sump i got a long time ago. is that too much? that is almost 1/2 of my total tank. or will it be better?
Old 07-16-2004, 07:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Firefighter, it sound more like you just want a sump to hide equipment. A refugium is a plumbed tank that acts as a safehouse for critters and/or an area for nutrient export via macroalgae, etc. An idea for either...or a combo of both...can be found here:

http://www.reefs.org/library/members...2699/sumps.htm
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsGuru
Firefighter, it sound more like you just want a sump to hide equipment. A refugium is a plumbed tank that acts as a safehouse for critters and/or an area for nutrient export via macroalgae, etc. An idea for either...or a combo of both...can be found here:

http://www.reefs.org/library/members...2699/sumps.htm
Cool thanks...
I kinda want to do both....
I don't have any algae problems really. I would just like to clean up my tank is all...

Tags
refugium, refugiums

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com