Harmys official 75g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harmy4993

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Harmys 75 gallon set up - build-diy projects- and much more

purchased a 75gallon today. will pick it up on the 3rd or 4th of may. possibly sooner but i work nights and my next "weekend" is split so not likely. i will prolly build the stand next week thou(pictures will of course be included) this is the first of my saltwater tanks. if all goes well i want to do a nano or 2 in the future and a large 500+gallon plywood system.

Tank- 75 gallon AGA tank 48x18x20
wont be drilled so hang on back overflow
back painted black or dark blue.
open hood
shrimp cycle( fishless ) i used bottle of ammonia last time. ill use shrimp this time

Stand - DIY
looking to make a design that incorporates a book shelf on one side and equipment storage on the other with doors.
thinking of making it tall so tank is more eye level. maybe 4-4 1/2 foot tall? or is that to big that would leave the tank at
4 1/2 - 6 foot viewing hight. would require step stool/ small ladder to get in.

Sump - refuge - yes - not sure on details of this yet
my thoughts. running some kind of 3 container system.
container 1 would be a basic sump. mostly just lots of small rocks. this is where the water would enter from the tank.
container 2 would be refuge. some rocks, sand, micro algee. lighting. 24 hours
container 3 would contain 2 heaters. some rock, temp prob and if i get one a skimmer. also the return pump. possible start a copepod population here
if 3 container system wont work ill go tradition sump/refuge set up

Lighting- way unknown.
im guessing a combo of mh and high output t5s? any thoughts or suggestions here would be greatly appritiated. i want to really be able to stock about anything. for example i know i want a clam so thats high light req. im guessing what ill need is 2 250w mhs and some t5 for support/color options?

Refractometer - ill get one off ebay or on line.

Power heads- not sure how many ill need here. i know ill need about 4 for the tank? 1 or 2 for the refuge to tumble micro algee? 1 for making saltwater and one to use as a pump of water changes? im not sure on exact needs here.
In tank power heads - koralia
in refuge/salt making/ water changes = maxi jet 1200?

Salt - IO
Will most likely order online when i can. Its cheaper then the 2 stores i visited today even with shipping. and those stores are 60 miles away. will most likely get 2 30 gallon totes on wheels one for making the water in and one for taking water out of the tank. also will need a heater for the salt water being mixed.

Sand- will get white sand from some where.
to bad you cant use pool filter sand or play sand like in fresh water tanks. 5 bux for 50 pounds of that lol. im looking at a 2-2 1/2 inch sea bed i think. unless i need to go little bigger. i know i want a goby / pistol shrimp pair so i will have tunnels.

Test kits
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit
salifert to fill out the rest of the tests not included

Filtration - DIY rock
100 pounds inside DT. plus more in the sump system maybe 50 pounds more?
im not sure if im going to use a skimmer yet or not. i know most people are going to say its worth it but that may be a down the road thing if i do it. i want to go really heavy on rocks and micro algee and see how things go there first.

RO/DI -
ill find something on ebay and hook it up to the bathroom sink.

QT
im guessing a 10g on this one. my tank isnt long enough for a tang or any large fish so i dont think ill need any thing bigger then a 10. if there is an emergancy and i need to evacuate the tank i can use large tote containers.

Stocking list
pair of clowns
goby/pistol shrimp
Red Mandarin ( will prolly wait for ORO tank bred ones)
blenny of some kind
flashing wrasse
not sure if i can add any more or what the limit would be for a 75g.
cuc
unknown

coral
ricordea garden
clam
frog spawn
zoas
Glove Polyp
Pipe Organ Coral
unkown mix of everything

any suggestions or thoughts on what i have written so far would be good. id expecially like some opinions on lighting.

anyone have thoughts on the lighting? i could really use some advice on the subject and opinions on the second lighting link.

i think i may take off work tomorrow and rent a truck or a van or something and go pick up my tank and maybe see about pickign up the wood for the stand tonight.

i think i have the most unpopular build thread of all time. no one wants to give me advice lol..

anyways. i got wood for the frame today and reserved a cargo van so i can go pick up my tank tomorrow. im worried about the stand top. its a 24x48 inch peice and the tank is 48 inchs long. so i have no wiggle room.

ok lets try pictures

img_1102053_0_1483bc3516cf081a54b49486d0fa2955.jpg

thats my second attempt at that. first one didnt come out great but may be savalagable we will see

img_1102053_1_a1c1cd15dbcb4ca5a1c9b75070ca90e6.jpg

diy rock. this is a batch i made a week or so ago. its not bad. used just a tad to much water with the cement mix. its pretty porous still but can be better. you can hear it suck in water when you submerge it so i know its good.

someone was kind enough to send me a private message. i sent him a link to the light i like. i just know i would like a clam in the future and want to make sure 2 150w mh will do it. along with the 4 t5's

ok i picked up my tank filled it with water and tossed in a couple of pennys for good luck.

just kidding about the pennys and water. wanted to see if anyone was actually reading this. but i did get my tank. really glad i went with the 75g as the front to back space 18" is really nice.

i made a executive decision and decided im going to go with pool filter sand. ive used it with no problems in a fresh water system and nothing i have read has suggested it wont work in reef aquariums. i just personally see no reason to buy "live"sand. your paying for a marketing ploy instead of the product. so im going with pool filter sand for this tank.

i have concerns about my stand. not that i dont think im building it right but i dont see how it is supporting the weight. im missing something cause i dont think the weight should be on the screws and it seems to me like they are. once i get the legs on ill post a pickture to show what i mean.

i put a bid on lights. im going to go with the 2 150watt mh / 4 54w t5 ho fixture. after spending 140 for the tank (new) and 250 for lights all my big priced items are out of the way i think. next 2 paychecks ill get the ro/di unit, salt, test kit, heaters and pumps and be ready to go i think. besides odds and ends.

im still looking into doing something funky with my sump/fuge system. im still giving it some thoughts thou so cant reveal details yet.

Lovin the diy rock! I'm no expert on lighting etc- but I will be tagging along also!

kee

ok lets try this

how do i know how much circulation ill need? ill have the return from the sump so i need to know how many pumps ill need inside the tank. im guessing the return from the sump has an upward flow to hit the water surface. then maybe one blowing from left to right at the bottom of the tank? one blowing right to left mid area blowing across the rocks and one left to right blowing slightly down or one blowing in the back of the tank?

A should do fine under 150wMH, May loose a little color but nothing noticeable i don't think.

And yes, 150wMH will be fine for most corals. Most SPS will need 250wMH, But some you could place at the top of your aquascape.

Looking good!

I'm tagging along too... she has 2 MH and 4 T5 HO that looks good to me... for circulating pumps that depends on what type of reef you want... what I'm doing is I'm getting 2 return pumps that put out 50% of the water turnover I need each and splitting them in 2 so I will have the equivalent of 1 pump and 3 power-heads. Some other bonuses about running 2 pumps is if one kicks the bucket you still have some water turnover.... if you ever go away for a few days at a time I would say 2 pumps is a must (in my opinion but I'm no expert)

Back
Top Bottom