Harmys official 75g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya i know sooner or later it will go down. Just a little surprised it hasnt happeded yet. Was hoping to order small cuc, algae and maybe go into dallas andget my first fish while i have a 3 day weekend. Doesnt look like it will happen now

Hmm okkinda stumped. I hooked up my return pump today. Mag 9.5. Should be 950 gph.4 foot hight brings it down to 750 i believe. Then have 4 90s on it. For my drain i have 2 one inch pvp pipes. Basically 2 drains. They both are working but they are not keeping up with the return pipe.

Between the four foot hight and the four 90s i should be good but im not. So i got 2 choices. Add a value to the return to slow it down. Or rebuild my drains with inch and a half pipes. Adding the value is the easier of the two because i have rock on the drain pipes. but that limits my return even more.

are the drains just slowing and sucking in lots of air every once and awhile? They need some source of air in there to really flow right.

Hmm okkinda stumped. I hooked up my return pump today. Mag 9.5. Should be 950 gph.4 foot hight brings it down to 750 i believe. Then have 4 90s on it. For my drain i have 2 one inch pvp pipes. Basically 2 drains. They both are working but they are not keeping up with the return pipe.

Between the four foot hight and the four 90s i should be good but im not. So i got 2 choices. Add a value to the return to slow it down. Or rebuild my drains with inch and a half pipes. Adding the value is the easier of the two because i have rock on the drain pipes. but that limits my return even more.

You should not have a problem all. Ther is no way that that 9.5 should be overpowering your setup. I would definately check my drain. Is it "flushing" if it is you need more air comming into your derso pipe. I don't remember if you built your own or not but if you did just take a 1/64 drill bit and drill holes in the plug until it stops. Also a "drooping" drain pipe will affect it as well.

I dont know. I know it should be enough drain to cover the return pump. But it cant keep up. I thought maybe because the pipe goes down into a 90 and then another 90 but i changed those out to 45s. Andit was a tab better but not it. I get the whirlpool effect as it sucks water into the pipe. Then it gets buried by water and thats it. Still drains but not fast enough. Will replace with inch and a half pipe today. Im stumped as to why but its ok. Ill make it work.

You could try getting rid of the 90's all together and just use flex tubing.....they sell it at Lowes, HD, the clear stuff, for pretty cheap.

When I did my 155g setup, I tried to PVC everything and had similar issues. When it was keeping up, then it would sound like low tide, constantly gurgling. At any rate, removed all the PVC piping, elbows, etc. and went with the flex hose and didn't have problems since.

Fixed my problem in a work around way. First i made the vent taller. That helped but not enough. Was better but still got over powered. Then i did some reading and googled diy pvc overflow not draining fast enough. Found out 1 inch pvc isnt enough. In a straight drop it would be. But in this srt up i guess they dont drain at 600 gph. So i went to 1 1/4 inch pvc. Alot better but still not enough. Took longerto get overpowered. But in the end it was going to flood.

So i did this

img_1148587_0_cb5474a93081c9e977272c3f77e41885.jpg

Now i can control the water flow and it works.

That is the pump... he can adjust the valve to have more water stay in the sump instead of being pumped up to the tank, without actually adding resistance to the pump and possibly waring it out.

I'm quite familiar with that mod. Just he spent most of the thread talking about the tank return and what he was doing, then I wasnt sure if all the sudden he jumped to the pump return or if I missed something.

Either way, glad its working for you. I run the same mod on my setup.

That is the pump... she can adjust the valve to have more water stay in the sump instead of being pumped up to the tank, without actually adding resistance to the pump and possibly waring it out.

he
I'm quite familiar with that mod. Just he spent most of the thread talking about the tank return and what he was doing, then I wasnt sure if all the sudden he jumped to the pump return or if I missed something.

sorry i tend to ramble on

Hmmm im getting worried. 10 weeks and still showing +5.0 nitrites. My ro/di water shows 0 but i dunno if thats good because its a salt water test with fresh water? I know some test kits will test both i dunno if nitrites and ammonia do. Or maybe i need to order new kit? Im lost on this one. Or make a small batch of ro/di salt water and test the result. Brb lol

Now i get even more confused. No ammonia in my tank but nitrites forever. Between 2-5 . I tested the ro/di i had sitting in the trash can. No nitrites.but .5 ammonia. Wtf. So making a small batch it a bucket to see what happens. What would be the possible issues here?

You had such a high ammonia load and the bacteria converted it well but the nitrites didn't get converted as fast so you had a build-up... but who knows... I added more shrimp to my tank now my my nitrites are off the chart and not going down...

Well some how the trash can is adding ammonia to the water. Some where between .5 & 1.0. Thus when i add water to top offs or when i filled it for the sump i added a bunch of amonia. Crazy. Got it figured out now. I expect my nitrites to drop in next couple of days as long as i stop using that trash can as a storagr container.

So, If I have it correct your RO water in your storage container measures ammonia between .5 and 1.0 ppm's?

Yes. But i put it n a diffrent bucket i get good water. So something in the trash can is leeching something. /sigh frustration. I used the trash can to leech the rocks. Never thought much about it. But now i know so should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom