Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Has anyone seen a fast tank cycle like this?

I was into saltwater (heavy) about 10 years ago (two tanks, both 55 gallon regular) and I never recall a cycle taking less than 3-4 weeks. I have had my tank up now for a little over a week now and my ammonia is dropping, nitrites and nitrates are rising. I had anticipated ammonia to continue to rise for about another week before dropping. Here are my tests and results. I am currently running a 32 gallon hex with a fluval 104 canister and a penguin 170 with about 14 pounds of live rock.

Date NH3 NO2 NO3 pH SG
2/6/05 1.5 0.5 10 8.2 1.023
2/9/05 2 1.5 10
2/12/05 0.75 3.5 20
2/13/05 0.4 5.0

Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
hoe are you cycling? If using cured lr and sand I have heard of very short cycles

Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I used lr ,water, and filter media from my main tank to start my 20g, and my cycle took about 16 days.
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
When I started my tank water sand and live rock it cycled in less than 3 weeks. NH3 only reached .5 before dropping to zero. I guess it really depends on the quality of your LR
EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mine too but CAREFUL! I recently posted my experience. Here's a copy:

My tank is 5 weeks old. I started with 50# LR and 25# LS in a 55 gal along with 50# CC sand and another 15# ruble rock. After 10-12 days, ammonia and NO2's were 0. NO3's ~50ppm. I run a PS in sump with two pre-filters. At week 3, I turned on the UV

Ok, now the saga;
--14 days I added a partial cleaning crew and they've been just peachy
--16 days I added a clown and LM blenny. Clown dies in 2 days. Blenny dies in 7-10 days. Water still reads good although, NO3's still stand about 50ppm.
--18 days I replaced the clown from above with a powder brn tang who lived lively until day 30 and died today, day 35.
--23 days replaced LM Blenny from above and he's still looking great today on day 35.
--28 days added flame angel who died on day 31-32. Water reads the same although, NO3's have dropped to ~30ppm

RESULT: on day 35 (5 weeks today), I have a LM blenny and cleaning crew that appear very healthy (Shrimp, snails, crabs). Lost 2 clowns, 1 powder brn tang, 1 LM blenny, 1 flame angel
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
MJ, congrats on the fast cycle. Hopefully everything just moved fast for you and your tank is ready. If you aren't sure you could throw a raw shrimp in to jump start the cycle to make sure it has been completed. In any case once you start adding fish do it slowly to allow the bio time to catch up!

Runaway it sounds as though something other than your tank parameters may be amiss. I read your posts and would agree that you should try a different acclimation procedure (I always test my water before moving my livestock to make sure that the PH and SG match, if not I keep the process going). Unless you used tap water and there is some horrific chemical in your water that isn't being tested for there's probably something other than your cycle to look to. Once your tank is cycled, moving slowly and adding one fish at a time should allow your system enough time to catch up without harming your animals.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Phyl, if acclimation is my problem, why do the fish live 1-2 weeks and die? Doesn't seem like that would happen with an acclimation problem.

Also, I've never had more than 3 fish at a time. Somtimes just 1! That is, aside from the cleaners.
55 gallon
dual 175 MH w/ dual 32W PC Actinics
75# LR
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank only took one week.
90 gal sw
Wet/Dry w/ LR ruble
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a similar experience, my levels were dropping to zero inside 11 days. I went back to the LFS where I purchased the LR and was told by the owner that the rock was at least partially cured. I have continued to monitor the levels and they seem to have stabilized. Don't really have enough experience to know for sure, so I'm not going to rush and montior for another week or so after a 25% water change.
55 gal
90+ lbs LR
70 lbs LS ( Aragonite Reef Sand Indo-Pacific Black)
Remora skimmer
Yellow Tang
Fire goby
pair of Percula clowns
20 RedLegg Hermit Crab
20 Blue Legged Hermit Crab
10 Zebra Hermit Crab
15 Trochus Snails
15 Narcissus Snails

Art G.
ajg1460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Runaway...My best guess as to why you are having problems is because you added too many fish too quickly. Nitrate is relativly non-toxic to animals but at 50ppm it may be a problem. Sounds like you started everything the right way. Nice use of LR, LS and rubble. ust give it more time for the denitrifing bacteria to build up and add livestock slowly. Also, test kits are not 100%. Verify your results using a different kit or have the LFS test for you.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com