Has my BTA got too much flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ill attach a video of now and a photo of before of my bubbletip anemone, before i adjust the flow it was always deflated and looked as if it dying, i have more flow on it now but it seems as though it cant relax as much is his bad? This is the least amount i can physically get to without putting powerhead where it was and it not getting enough. It looks 100x better than it did before but it seems as though it may take off it seems happy i just dont want it to become un attached and cause havoc in my tank been blown around or even worse be blended in my wave maker!

Attachments

• image-723447860.jpg
    image-723447860.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 119
Your nem look happy with the new flow if it was layed over on it's side i would say it had to much

Kind of goes on its side for a second then corrects itself is that okay? Looks as if its preparing to move

if it gets to much flow it will move most just dont let go though You can try putting a rock on the left in line with the flow to slow it a bit, kinda like a wind brake To me it looks happy as long as it's not stuck on it's side i think it will stay put

Thanks for the help :) i have a small wavemaker running aswell that creates a gentle flow throughout the tank would it be worth putting the big one on a timer to come on at say 6 and go off at 10 or is that a bad idea?

I don't like putting power heads on timers, especially if you have small fish or snails. They seem to want to perch inside the power head and then get killed when it finally comes on. Also, I don't see any reason to have low flow in the tank. If you have power heads, use them.

My powerheads have guards around them to stop anything getting inside, i usually leave the weaker one on and have the bigger one set to come on and off.

Does anyone turn there powerheads off when feeding? If i try to feed mine with powerheads on all food just goes into a cyclone

What are you feeding? Corals? I don't turn my power heads off ever. I used to have an oceans motions 4 way that was fed by a reeflo hammerhead on a 195 reef. This alternates current very effectively, without the use of power heads. I didn't see any coral growth differences between that tank and any other I've kept, so I don't see the use.

Btw, mesh guards on your power heads or not, if an anemone hits one, it's definitely going to get sucked in and all tangled in it.

Back
Top Bottom