Has Tank Cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a 40 gallon saltwater tank about 2 months ago. I used dry rock and dry sand in the tank. I has sorta been put to the side for a little while. I have kept a close eye on it, but just let it do its thing, not adding any livestock. There is a pretty good amount of algae growth on the rocks. How can I be sure of the tank has cycled? I put a raw shrimp in yesterday, to make sure it has cycled. In the case that it has cycled, what parameters would I get from the decaying shrimp? Thanks!

0 ammonia 0 nitrites and nitrates will vary but should have some

BREAKING NEWS

So I put in the dead shrimp about a week ago. Since then algae has blown up all over the rock.
I just tested the water and ammonia and nitrates and nitrites were all close to zero. Does this mean the tank has cycled?

I imagine the algae you are referring to is a rusty looking color if so it is diatoms algae usually a sign a tank has cycled. Not always though but a pretty good sign the shrimp should have been put it from day one you waited a little long to put it in the cycle might have been completed a couple weeks ago and you are experiencing ammonia from the shrimp but if your reading are 0 you should be cycled.

I imagine the algae you are referring to is a rusty looking color if so it is diatoms algae usually a sign a tank has cycled. Not always though but a pretty good sign the shrimp should have been put it from day one you waited a little long to put it in the cycle might have been completed a couple weeks ago and you are experiencing ammonia from the shrimp but if your reading are 0 you should be cycled.

Thanks for the input. The algae is actually green

--Update--
I tested again today.
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=20

Is it safe to say the tank has cycled? I am attaching a picture ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388339678.646489.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388339706.693457.jpg

Back
Top Bottom