have ? about retro light setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g0nz0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
currently setting up a 100g reef tank and found a appropriate 60" Current MH Outer Orbit fixture for a pretty good price. but sadly the ballast for the Dual Actinics has died. I am now thinking about selling that and setting up my own retro setup (x2 250w 10k MH, 2 130w Dual Actinic and some led moon lights). My question is: The Outer Orbit was an entirely enclosed fixture with glass protecting the MH bulbs and acrylic covering the actinics. For a retro setup do i need to cover the bulbs to protect them from the saltwater, evaporation, etc? if so what is the best way to do it?

Also, the hood sits 10" above the top of the tank (which is acrylic) with the water about an inch below that, do i need to worry about the heat from the MH's damaging the tank?

Thanks!
=g0nz0

10 inches you might be OK. MH`s can crack if water gets on them. I use VHO`s. They dont get hot enough to crack. We will let others that have MH`s chime in but I`d say 10 inches from the water you`ll be OK.

bump. sump/refugium is complete. almost time for lights. anyone?

Back
Top Bottom