Have Equipment needed , now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nauticalgyrl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have all the equipment needed for my 40 gallon coral tank. Now I am ready to add water etc. But want some advice on this process.

Mix it first, let it stand for a day in a tub, etc with a power head or airstone and then check the salinity. That way all of your salt mix is dissolved properly and the reading will be accurate. Also, make sure it is within the proper temperature range when you check the salinity, this will affect the reading.

What are you using for substrate, lighting, skimmer, etc?

For substrate I am using 2 1/2 inch of sand and will be adding live rock as soon as the water is stable. I have a dual compact lighting unit and a protein skimmer and a canister filter as well.

What kind of corals are you planning on? Power compact might be a little weak for and hard corals. _---Correct if wrong lol.

Do what andy said, when I first started sw I added the water right away, the salinity was 1.023 but the next day it went up to 1.025 or something like that because there was still some salt left undissolved.

Back
Top Bottom