Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have my first readings...?

I set up my 75 gallon on Tuesday and just took my first readings. Can you give me an idea if I am on par in cycling? Salt is 1.024, pH is 8.2, ammonia is .25 and both Nitrate and Nitrites are 0. How often should i be testing while it is cycling? I haven't added anything yet, as I'm still debating the store shrimp. I used RO water, have LR and 60 lbs live sand. * Also, I am using bio-balls that are ( as far as I was told) about 4 years old. Will those specifically help me cycle faster?
I forgot to ask last time, how far below the water should the return pipe be? I learned about siphoning the hard way while setting up!
If anyone if using a Current USA Orbit light fixture with a canopy, can you let me know if you are using the docking mounts ( mine came without them) and how your stable your light sits on the canopy. I feel like mine is balanced on it, but it is making me pretty nervous since I have a cheerleader in the house ( if you have one, you know what I mean!). Thanks!!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like your tank is OK...I'm still a beginner as well though. Keep an eye on your ammonia, it should go down then you should see your nitrite go up. As the nitrite goes down, then your nitrate should go up. That will let you know the good bacteria are doing their job.

I didn't use a shrimp to cycle my tank either, just the dead stuff from the LR, and it seemed to work.

Can't help you with the other stuff, sorry, and I don't know anything about bio-balls.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The ammonia is going up which means your cycle is starting. You`ll see that rise and then go down and your nitrites will go up and then back down. When they are both at 0 then do a PWC to get your nitates down then you`ll be OK to start adding a CUC and some fish.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

CUC? Sorry, can't figure that one out. How high should the ammonia spike? How often should I be testing now ( only been 3 days since set up)?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
clean up crew. its different for different tanks. i never really knew when to test so i cant help there. but always test at the same time in the day to get better readings.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just test every couple days. For now only test for ammonia and Nitrites and nitrates.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com