Have my first readings...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgross15656

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my 75 gallon on Tuesday and just took my first readings. Can you give me an idea if I am on par in cycling? Salt is 1.024, pH is 8.2, ammonia is .25 and both Nitrate and Nitrites are 0. How often should i be testing while it is cycling? I haven't added anything yet, as I'm still debating the store shrimp. I used RO water, have LR and 60 lbs live sand. * Also, I am using bio-balls that are ( as far as I was told) about 4 years old. Will those specifically help me cycle faster?
I forgot to ask last time, how far below the water should the return pipe be? I learned about siphoning the hard way while setting up!
If anyone if using a Current USA Orbit light fixture with a canopy, can you let me know if you are using the docking mounts ( mine came without them) and how your stable your light sits on the canopy. I feel like mine is balanced on it, but it is making me pretty nervous since I have a cheerleader in the house ( if you have one, you know what I mean!). Thanks!!

Sounds like your tank is OK...I'm still a beginner as well though. Keep an eye on your ammonia, it should go down then you should see your nitrite go up. As the nitrite goes down, then your nitrate should go up. That will let you know the good bacteria are doing their job.

I didn't use a shrimp to cycle my tank either, just the dead stuff from the LR, and it seemed to work.

Can't help you with the other stuff, sorry, and I don't know anything about bio-balls.

The ammonia is going up which means your cycle is starting. You`ll see that rise and then go down and your nitrites will go up and then back down. When they are both at 0 then do a PWC to get your nitates down then you`ll be OK to start adding a CUC and some fish.

CUC? Sorry, can't figure that one out. How high should the ammonia spike? How often should I be testing now ( only been 3 days since set up)?

clean up crew. its different for different tanks. i never really knew when to test so i cant help there. but always test at the same time in the day to get better readings.

Just test every couple days. For now only test for ammonia and Nitrites and nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom