Having problems with my sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I bought some sand yesterday at Feeders Supply (Whitest sand I could find anywhere local). I bring it home and put a bag 5lbs in a bucket I add some water slowely to soak the sand overnight. I keep getting particles that want to float and small balls or sand that are floating/or sitting on the top of the sand and as soon as you move the water they come up to the surface. I have found that I can "pop" the balls of sand but its going to take me all year to do that.

The bags instructions say to soak that sand to avoid floating particles. What a load of crap that is. As soon as the sand hits the water some pieces beging to float.

Anyone have any help for me on this one?

wash the sand in about 1/2 lbs portions. (add sand, add water, wash it a couple of times and but it in a clean sand bucket untill you have all you 5lbs cleaned)

What do you mean "wash" it? Like put it in the bucket and swish it all around? Do I just use normal water to wash it with or something else?

I put it in a bucket, used a power nozzle from a garden hose and sprayed it hard, the nastiness floats to the top, dump nasties out, repeat process until water is clear.

I did mine like Hara suggested. If you don't , the water will take forever to clear and when ever any critter decides to wallow in it, a great siltstorm will occur. It takes a lot of patience and hard sprayin, but it will work.

If you still have issues after more rinsing, FWIW as time passes and bacteria builds up on the sand granules they will be more likely to "stay put". Often people w/ high flow tanks have problems w/ sand storms until the sand becomes "live" over a period of a few weeks. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom