Having trouble choosing fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon that will be converted to a fowlr at christmas time. Im so overwhelmed with all the fish on live aquaria and cant seem to find fish i like that are all compatible! What would you stock a 29 fowlr with?

Pair of ocelleris clowns
1 yellow watchman goby/ lawnmower blenny
1 six line wrass
1 gramma
And maybe sonething like an orange striped prawn goby or jaw fish.
SOME SHRIMP-
Cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
Sexy shrimp ( you choose which combinations you like )
Corals/ hermits/ snails

From my experience that tank will become reef very quickly. I have seen a lot of people setup smaller tanks not planning to do reef, three months later when they have all the fish they can add and still want to work with the tank, those little $10 frags of hard to kill corals will become too tempting. The problem is that such a small tank fills up very fast with only fish. Too many corals are simply too hardy and too cheap to not try, and once you do you are addicted.

The reason I bring this is up is that even if you think this won't apply to you, do yourself a favor and stick with reef safe fish just in case. I have also seen way too many people have to tear out every piece of rock in their tank to get out the one little fish they added that is not reef safe because they didn't think they would convert.

I agree with the list above. A pair of clowns (occelaris or percula) is pretty standard, you choose the type/color. Everyone loves gobies and blennies. In that size tank I wouldn't do an angel, partly because of the size of the tank and partly because of the likelihood you will go reef.

I suggest you write down a list of all the fish you like and then post it here. We can go through it and tell you what is good, what gets too big, what is hard to keep, which won't get along, etc.

Fish i like:
Flame angel, Sargassum fish, kauderns cardinal, blue green reef chromis, ocellaris clown(tank bred or no?),blue damsels, 3 and 4 stripe damsels, fiji blue devil damsel, firefish, scooter blenny, snowflake eel, orange spotted goby, two spot goby, dusky panther goby

Green chromis are good, the kauderns cardinal is fine, clowns are good, captive bred is ideal (and give you more color options like misbar, black, naked, etc.), and firefish should be fine. Damsels are too aggressive. Flame angel is too big and not always reef safe. Scooter blennies do better in larger tank that produce more natural food, similar to mandarins. Snowflake eel is too large and will eat everything. Orange spotted and two spot gobies would do better in a larger tank. They also eat everything in the sand bed (including all the good stuff). I haven't seen the dusky panther goby much, there are more colorful options though.

Small, peaceful fish. There is an ocean of options to sort through, you need to decide which ones stand out to you and then run them by us.

Back
Top Bottom