Having trouble getting my water to clear.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikebaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
About two weeks ago, i had a phosphate spike and a bad algae bloom, my water was just poluted with algae, i've been using 3 phosphate remover bags in my filter, and the levels are coming down, and i've been changing four gallons of water every day, but my water is still cloudy, does anyone have any ideas? My tank is a 77 gallon with 3 inch sand bed, and one coral beauty, i use a penguin dual biowheel filter and dont' have a skimmer yet ( i'm getting a canister soon, and a skimmer in about a month)

no, it's not the easiest thing to get here, shipping is horrendous, i plan on taking a trip soon and will pick some up from an lfs while i'm away.

Mike, have you checked with JL Aquatics in Burnaby, BC? I got my LR from them and got it the next day. They should be able to get it to you quickly, even ig you have to pick it up at the airport in Charlottetown. I had to pick my order at Ottawa's airport. Check them out at the link below:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/

PS: Where are you in PEI? Been there two summers in a row. My wife just loves the place! :lol:

8)

I've actually ordered things from jl before, i was very happy with their service... i live in charlottetown, do you think live rock will help my problem?

Check out this store here in canada:

www.jlaquatics.com

Now try and find a group of people in your area who would do a group by for some livestock/liverock. Then the price of shipping is not only on your shoulder but gets split between others.

You can skip on the cannister filter and get yourself some live rock. Also a nice skimmer can help you out.

Also, it depends on your water quality you are using to fill the tank (RO/DI, tap water, well water) Tap water and well water are not recommended unless you have GREAT water and the phosphates could be high causing you the algea blooms you see.

Steve

thanks, i am using well water... i haven't tested it for phosphates, i can get r/o filtered water for 40 cents a gallon from a local grocery store, so maybe i'll try that, do you think that my filter is sufficient, or should i invest in something better.

IMO a filter is not needed in a SW setup, but since you dont have any LR to filter your water i would keep it there for now. Most importantly i would work on getting some Live Rock. It looks as though jlaquatics is around $140 shipping on a 65 lb box. Is there no LFS around you?

Make sure to keep your filter media clean. Every week clean out the media with discharge water from your tank.

Test your water for phosphates and nitrates, most likely that is the cause. Definitly go and get yourself some RO water from the grocery store. If it is one of the self serve water machines, make sure you test the water as well (Sometimes they neglect the changing of the filters). If it is bottled water, you should be ok. Do some water changes over a period of a couple of weeks.

Since you have no LR or skimmer water changes is going to be the way you will be able to get rid of DOC's.

Do lots and lots of research before you jump into anything. I have made tons of mistakes and those could of been avoided by doing some reading!

Good luck

Steve

You need to test you tap water asap and see if you have NO3 and PO4. Doing water changes with water that has PO4 is just feeding the algae bloom. A Diatom filter would help you out with cleaning the water, anyone near you have one you can borrow? If not get a ro/di filter and start using that water to help with the problem. Or use the ro water from the store, test before you use this water also/ Ro water can contain PO4, its the DI that removes it all.

I ahve been told that a magnium filter can work like a diatom filter.

Are you running carbon? I would use some carbon right now and make sure any filter pads that you may have get changed out as well. Then I would do a black out on the tank, no lights, cover the tank with a blanket, all for about 5 days to a week.

ok, water has cleared, phosphates are down to reasonable levels, but now my coral beauty's fins are eroding like crazy, she is still swimming and eating just fine, any one know what the cause could be?

Any other fishes in the tank? Sometimes, other fishes can and will nibble at other fishes' fins. At least, that is what I have noticed with mine. How is the tank doing now? Any recent tests done? What were the results? I'm just curious. :wink:

8)

Yes, use carbon. I just had an epic battle similar to yours. I did a good sized water change, put in some Phosban and some carbon. The water cleared up rather quickly.

Back
Top Bottom