hawiian blow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
need some advice my my puffer got stuck in my cpr over flow and sucked in alot of air !! i managed to help him burp out alot of air and as of this morning he did eat a shrimp im just worried that if the air in him does kill him that he might release some type of toxins !!! which i have read that they do !!! any advice be great !!

Do you have a quarantine tank? If so you might want to fill it with some tank water and move the puffer cafefully into the QT. Let him be for a week or two to see how he does. That way if he does go he won't hurt the other fish.

Just a thought.

-Dan

i think that you should cover the area that he got himself stuck in with a net or screen to prevent future mishaps.. after you do the quarantine..

i've done that with a freshwater puffer once.. i just held him upside down and squeezed him gently.. i read it some where to do so... but i died of stress... porcupine puffers get "tame..." i dont think you should do it unless it really "knows" you..

The puffer should be able to expel most of the air on its own, if he is eating fine and doesn't seem affected, I would not be too overly concerned (bouyancy problems, etc.). You could move him to QT, just to keep a good eye on him, however it is a very remote chance that they would actually kill other tank inhabitants unless they actually devoured the dead fish. Puffers store the toxin (Tetrodotoxin) in their tissues, liver, and gonads. It is more of a defensive toxin (as in if you eat me, I am taking you down too!) than it is offensive, as say the blue ringed octopus that uses the same toxin in its venom.

I will run this by the resident puffer expert at my site just to make sure though.

I do have an excellent article on my site: Puffer Care and Information which includes the following on how to remove air from a puffer that is unable to do so on its own..........

"Those puffers that can't release the air can actually become stressed enough that they perish. If your puffer does become inflated with air, there is a method of helping it release it. Which needs steady but gentle hands. You will have to hold you puffer with your hands, with it's head facing up, then begin to gently massage the belly of the fish upwards to it's chin. This will help the valves release and the air to escape from the upward facing puffer's mouth."

I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom