Hawkfish-Venomous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triggers

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just picked up a spotted hawkfish today (my first hawkfish I have ever had) and the guy at the LFS said hawkfish are venomous. This is the first time I have ever heard this, but is it true?

I looked on wetwebmedia.com through their hawkfish GAQ and an article on hawkfish and could find no reference to venom. I have never heard it before and I have handled them alot, never been hurt or had a reaction. IMO, it was a good lesson for you though, you now know the guy at the LFS is mistaken i his info on hawks, or simply doesn't know squat ;)

Thanks for the reply Reefrunner, I didn't think they where venomous either and when he told me, it just took me by surprise.

Venomous I don't think so. Irritating if poked? yes definately.

All fish that have spiney dorsal fins will secrete a form of toxin. Harmfull to humans? well, usually the Scorpion, Lion, Toad, etc... are the piosonous ones that we need to be very careful with...

A Hawk fish has these spiney dorsal fins and depending on how alergic you are to things, could if poked in your hand, swell and cause pain... I think there are worse things to worry about though.... JME

Don't all fish have spiney dorsal fins? and I have read nowhere that the spines are hollow (like a lions) and capable of delivering venom. Do you have a reference for this? I would like to read it.

Don't all fish have spiney dorsal fins?

Quite frankly NO they do not... take sharks for instance they do not have spiney dorsal fins.

While I did not find anything either on Hawkfish being venomous, I didn't exactly mean they would shoot out toxins, and nowhere did I say that they were hollow like the Lions. I guess by secrete it sounded that way, however, not what I meant to say. All fish have a slime coating which when poked by the spines, it leaves this behind causing irritation.

I know that you have been fishing before and caught a fish that happened to poke your hand and in return you had a painful little sore.. If you haven't well, hmmm can't help you there... I was mainly relating to the LFS guy who told Triggers that they were venomous.. technically he could have had one poke his hand while having it in the tank and he was allergic, which caused him pain, I do not know this, however, it sounds good... This of course is speculation, however with no supporting fact from the LFS guy who knows...

When I used to fish, if a bream fin stuck me, I did get some irritation. Nothing terrible, just enough to notice.

:hat:

I know that you have been fishing before and caught a fish that happened to poke your hand and in return you had a painful little sore..

LOL, I also get a painful little sore when poled by a needle.

All fish that have spiney dorsal fins will secrete a form of toxin.

This was the reason for my questions,

Back
Top Bottom