Heater Help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's wrong with API?

The basic saltwater kit is OK for cycling, but then put it away..... the API kits are nowhere near sensitive enough, especially the nitrate & phosphate tests. Recommend Hanna checkers, Red Sea or Salifert test kits.

I'm currently working on the cycle. That's why I was curious, I see most people continually use them well through growing their reefs and future tests though. How often should I test during cycling?

I tested daily just out of a mix of anxiousness & curiosity. I used Real Reef rock & a dead shrimp for the fishless method, and was cycled in 11 days.

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate all the help. Quick question, I have strictly dry rock but added about a cup of "live" live sand from an established tank. I also added 1 small shrimp and half of another to help speed the cycle. During this time should my return pump and everything be on? Or can it remain off? Does the bacteria require oxygen?

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate all the help. Quick question, I have strictly dry rock but added about a cup of "live" live sand from an established tank. I also added 1 small shrimp and half of another to help speed the cycle. During this time should my return pump and everything be on? Or can it remain off? Does the bacteria require oxygen?

Yes very much oxygen

Okay thanks. I had them off just for a little, I was trying to let the cloudy water settle. I turned everything back on before I went to bed.

Yeah I thought about a little after ahahahaha. How long should I leave the raw shrimp before taking it out if the tank? And do you think any of the bacteria died with the tank being off for about 2 hours?

Yeah I thought about a little after ahahahaha. How long should I leave the raw shrimp before taking it out if the tank? And do you think any of the bacteria died with the tank being off for about 2 hours?
no 2hr is nothing, you don't have to take your shrimp out, it food for you BB. You might have to add more! Keep running tests for ammonia and nitrite, when they start dropping you have BB, so after that you will need to feed them till you have someone making some poop in there (fish, inverts...). :)

I'm just wondering how much of an effect 1 cup of sand with BB can have on my tank?

Yeah it was from a well established tank that my friend runs. I was just curious because I have about 50 gallons of water and 40lbs of dry reef saver rock, and 30lbs of dry sand.

You can actually buy wet live sand and your cycle is already started. 2-3 days after you can add a fish, nothing without a test first

Yeah it was from a well established tank that my friend runs. I was just curious because I have about 50 gallons of water and 40lbs of dry reef saver rock, and 30lbs of dry sand.[/QUOTE
How long have u had it running?

Yeah I was aware of that, I just wasn't to fond of the type my fish store offered and online the shipping would kill me. That's why I just decided being my own to life.

It's better that way, your not paying for wet sand and water, they charge per pound. Instead you got pure stuff. Good choice, takes a bit to cycle but it's worth it

Yeah I ordered my kit, it should be here in a few days. I figure by then I'll have data to measure. I just added the shrimp and BB yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom