Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish

Hi All,

sorry for posting another thread, but want to maks sure i get everything right. Should i order 2 200 watt heaters for a 46 gallon tank, and 1 50 watt tank for my 10 gallon quarantine tank? would i run both heaters at the same time? any brands i should look into or stay away from.

- Jeff

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Two 200w heaters should be plenty for a 46g...you'd probably be fine with a couple of 150w heaters. 50w is fine for the 10g. You set both heaters for the temp you want and let them cycle. If one of them ever sticks, you'll have more time to catch it before the tank overheats. If one fails to come on, the other will keep the tank from getting too cold. I'm going to give some very opinionated advice about buying heaters. If you want a basic heater, go with an Ebo Jager. If you want a really good heater, go with a Won Pro Heat II. Stay away from everything else. The Ebo is a submersible glass tube heater, inexpensive, and pretty reliable. The Won is a titanium tube heater with a separate temp probe and an IC based controller. It has a digital temp readout on the control unit. You might want to go with one of each...a 150w Pro Heat II and a 200w Ebo. JMHO.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes, two 15o's for your 46gal should be enough. A 50 for the QT is great. I use heaters by Marineland (Visa-Therm) and like them very much.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com