Heating issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOMINATOR

Aquarium Advice Regular
My temp fluctuates between 76-80, and I can't seem to keep it stable... Is that terrible for my fish? How can I steady it???

In the wild they face much stronger changes in temperature.76-80 Doesn't sound like a problem.

is this a reef, or a fish only? i don't think they face temp changes like that in the wild. why do we float bags of new fish then? why not just toss em in?
what i would do to correct this fluctuation is to turn your heater up to 80.

In the wild they face much stronger changes in temperature.76-80 Doesn't sound like a problem.

i disagree with that. the ocean is such a vast body of water, to fluctuate that much in a day is a mass melting of the ice caps, watch the movie "The day after tomorrow" temp changes liek that would cause a global climate shift

dominator what size system are you running and what wattage of heater? i think its sometimes better to have a slighly undersized heater because when a heater is on its fully on so it totally heats up untill the water is a set temp and doesn't go back on untill it gets to a set temp. my water fluctuates maybe .5 degrees so its pretty stable and my heater is a 100watt glass aqueon that i got with my tank kit

Last edited:
My system is about 280 gallons and I have a 300 watt heater, I just recently added another heater in so my original wouldn't struggle as much....seems to be doing better, maybe 1 degree change between night and daytime

You're gonna need way more heaters than that, a single 300w heater can typically only heat up to 80G tanks. That explains the temp swings

probably 3 or 4 of them.

thats alot of power though, i wonder id there is a boiler system for larger aquariums

thats alot of juice sucked down with that bad boy. i'd really like to see if a small natural gas pool or hot tub heater would work on soemthing that size

Actually, I just bought a 150 watt eheim to add with my original 100 watter. Things are stable, morning and night!

Back
Top Bottom