Height of overflow? HELP HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peoplepc3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just successfully setup my new 155 gallon tank. Pump is fine, drilled small holes in return lines to break siphon, ball valve on the drain line to control flow to the sump,....thought I had it all covered.

I need help with one last thing....

How high in the overflow "column" should the drain pipes be? Should they be significantly below the water line (seems quieter this way)? Or should they be just below the water line?

When I simulate a power outage, the sump fills up wayyy to full for my taste. It does not overflow but, about another 1/2 inch, and it would.

Seems like if I raise the drain pipes up closer to the water line, less water from the overflow column would drain to the sump. Make sense or am I missing the boat?

My drain pipe originates from the bottom of the tank(in the overflow column) from pre-drilled holes, on each rear corner.

My drain pipe is now about 6 inches or so from the water line....should this be raised up?

My main concern is the amount of water collected in the sump upon power outage.

HELP!!! :banghead:

ummm, you could always take some water out of the sump. Nobody runs there tank at full height

also, i don't understand what you mean by the overflow column means. You mean your overflow pipe thats inside the display tank is 6 inches under the water line? I think thats too low, my diy overflow pipe makes it so the water line should be equal to wherever your draining pipe is. Please clarify if this doesnt make any sense though

you don't want a ball valve on the drains to control flow to the sump. all that will do is overflow the display. you control flow to the sump by putting a ball valve after the return pump.

yes, the dursos should be just below the water line inside the overflow.

You could raise the return line so less would flow back in the sump. But, as long as it doesn't over flow I would't worry about it.

Ok, thank you very much. I raised the drain up a little and it seemed to help with the volume of water that reaches the sump upon power outage. Seems strange the sump runs with the water level just above the pump when all is running well. Seems kind of shallow to me but it seems to be working great at the present time. Upon power outage, the sump fills up to about 90 percent capacity then abruptly stops. Guess that is the goal. Thanks again for all your input.

you don't have enough water in the sump then. evaporation will expose the pump on a short time. if you plan to keep it like this you should get an auto top-off.

The water that returns to the sump would be the water after the pump in the return lines, the water in the display tank that is above the overflow level, and whatever is in the drain that hasn't drained yet; this should be minimal unless...

How long and thick are your returns? Are you using 10' of 1" PVC? How big is your sump? I have a 55 under my 125 and it doesn't rise more than 6". Do you have a small sump?

Back
Top Bottom