Hellllllp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

post88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started setting up my tank, i had 50lbs of sand and 15 lbs of fiji, it was clear running for about 2 weeks, and today i got the rest of the rock, i thought it was cured dry rock, so put it in the tank after washing it in saltwater, and 4 hours later its beginning to smell and the water is changing color to a green tint. What should i do? Take out the rock, do a water change? Is there any easy way?

Its roughly 80lbs rock total in a 55 gal, with good water flow and a fluval 305

Are you cycling this tank right now? Do you have live stock in it? Do you have a skimmer on the tank? How long has it been set up?

no skimmer yet, its been running for about two weeks, 78 degrees

Sounds like it wasn't so cured after all! Did you get the rock from a reliable source, or was it 2nd hand from a "friend."

Sounds like you're at the beginning of another cycle. Assuming you don't have livestock in the tank, I'd just ride it out and let it cycle again. If you do have livestock, then I'd be testing daily and have plenty of water made up for daily water changes to keep your ammonia/nitrite levels down as much as possible.

The other option I suppose is to take out the rock and let it cure in some other tub of saltwater.

Ok so you are cycling your tank then. Other then the smell you don't have much to worry about. During a cycle you are going to see some not so nice things happen in your tank but that is part of the process. You need to get a skimmer on the tank and that will help with a lot of the smell.

Good! Then let the tank go through the process of cycling. If you add a skimmer as I said it will help with the smell. You really are going to need one anyway so if you can get one now that will help you out a lot.

should i change out water? im freeking out, ive been thinking about this for a couple months now, had everything cool, and then bam, a stupid mistake sets me back

BTW go to the articles section of this site and do some reading, there are several articles that will help you out in this the beginning stages of your tank.

You need to let the tank cycle. Do some tests on your water see what your readings are. My guess is your ammonia is through the roof. Cycling a tank takes time, be patient and relax it is all part of getting things set up the right way.

Thanks for the help. I just joined the site, im gonna check it out , thanks again

Well there are HOB skimmers that will work well for you as well as sump style skimmers. For a 55 I would look at an Aqua C or an ASM G2 skimmer. Skimmers are not cheap but if you check on ebay and craigslist you can usually find one at a good price.

Have you tested your water at any point for ammonia, nitrite or nitrates?
Where did this last batch of dry rock come from?

It does seem that you have the cycle going full blast right now.

and then bam, a stupid mistake sets me back

This is not a mistake. This is supposed to happen. Everything is going according to clockwork. Do as the others have said and test for Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. This will help us know where you are in the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom