Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The canister is the bad kind of filter. They trap bad bacteria in them and can eventually cause problems for salt water. I would not purchase the BIO wheel filter if it was me.

I would start with just with the skimmer and work from there. If you end up needing more filtration you can add in a sump and/or wet/dry filter in a few months.

It is amazing how great skimmers will remove the bad stuff from your water. Just make sure you have enough power heads to keep the water moving really well in the tank.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!
You know, your list looks pretty good. I had an Emperor 400 on my first reef tank and loved it. Threre is a catch with them however. The bio-wheels can tend to be a nitrate factory. This is generally not a problem if you stock light, feed little and have PLENTY of other biological filtration. But they ae not really needed. It does give you some good mechanical filtration and a nice place for any chemical filtration (carbon...).
Quote:
and also with LR and LS are filters neccessary or do I just need to run a skimmer?
Not really needed, but as mention, you can benifit from it.
Quote:
NOW .... lighting is the only thing I'm missing? Do I need to buy a completely new
hood or can I convert the one I have now? I wanna go with PC lighting good
enough for an eventual anemone!
You will need a lighting up-grade in the future for an anemone. However, this does not need to be done now. Ideally, you should wait several months before attempting an animal likethis. they require excillent water conditions and a mature, stable tank. You will need to get a new fixture, the light you have now will not be able to be converted. What are the top dimenstions of the tank (length and width)?

Old 04-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Regarding stocking ... I idealy only want 2 clowns and maybe a goby or something of the sorts haven't really got into the fish yet, I wanna do a proper setup first ... although I do know setup requires somewhat of an idea for what you want to put in! My tank will not be overcrowded as I am not one for crowds myself so I can only imagine being stuck in 30 gallons with too many people
I know with the live rock all sorts of things may start popping up so I want to be careful with that!

I do plan on waiting for the anemone, but will this also require I wait for the clowns? If so what type of hardy beginner fish would you suggest?

I'll have to wait until I get home for the top measurements. The tank dimensions are 30L x 12W x 17.5H, But figured I would need different fixtures!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Clowns are a form of Damselfish and are pretty hardy. You should not have any problems with them as starter fish. Just make sure that you have fully cycled your tank prior to adding them.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey there

Anemones need lots of light. I have 192 watts of PC in a 30 Gal. I prob need more They will die without good quality light and water..

Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

You want your tank turnover to be 10-20x your tanksize an hour and you're going to want 3-5wpg of light over your tank for the anemone (which means you'll have enough light to keep most corals as well). I went with a SSB in my main and a DSB in my fuge (the fuge is to help keep nitrates down because corals hate nitrates). 60# of rock is going to be GREAT. You should be able to pick up your LR yourself from LR.com if you're close enough. Very cool. I don't know anything about the skimmer that you picked. Mine is built into my wet/dry. I have a wet/dry for my "filter system" in addition to the 150# of live rock I have in my tank.

Rather than the emporer I'd get an overflow and put a sump in the bottom of the stand. That makes a good place for your heater, PS, etc. without cluttering up your main.

Make sure you add in the test kits: Ammo, trite, trate, pH, Ca, Alk.

You're going to want an RO/DI unit to make sure you're using pure water (and a bucket of salt for mixing it up). You can get one on ebay for 100$ (FilterDirect). You don't have heaters on your list. You'll want at least 1 if not 2 of these. A refractometer for measuring salinity (again ebay this). You'll need an extra heater and powerhead and garbage can for mixing water in for water changes.

Before you get fish you should get a 10g basic tank, bubble filter, & heater to use as your QT tank. You don't want fish in your main that have gone through the QT process for at least 4w.

Welcome to AA!

Good luck!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

www.liveaquaria.com has fish sorted by beginners (easy to care for) and also nano fish (smaller fish). This would be a good place to get ideas. Look in Fish Marine for icons.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for all the info everyone, I think with this info I should be able to put together a pretty nice setup!

A couple other questions I have are ... what size heater would be sufficient for a 30 gallon tall, 50w/100w or would I need more. And as for a overflow/sump setup is there any good sites that have these for sale? I like the idea of having everything under the tank with more room in the tank!!!!!

I looked at liveaquaria.com and that site is awesome for beginners, I like how they give recomendations for type of filters, lighting, heating, fish and all the good stuff!

I can't wait to get started only 1 month till I close on my house and then I can setup. I live maybe 25 minutes from Liverocks.com and absolutely love the Keys rock. I'm gonna do 30 pounds of Base and 30 pounds of Keys LR!

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I bought a retro-kit and built a wood canopy in order to put in the lights I wanted have it look nice. Much cheaper than a pre-built option.

Inverts
Green & Red Musrooms, Pumping Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Green/Purple Ricordia, Orange Ricordia, Green Acro, Bubble Coral, Hammer Coral, Maxima Clam, Crocea Clam, peppermint shrimp, various snails and crabs.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Mated Perculas, Bicolor Blenny, Elaegant Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Clown Goby, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty, Golden Angel
seve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

On the heater 2- 50 watts would be better than 1- 100watts, for a number of reasons, but both should be sufficient for florida.
Liveaquaria does provide alot of info but use it as one of many sources. I like to start there because its quick and easy but then I confirm what they say with other sources.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com