Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

exactly, I have done more reading in the past two hours than I have done my whole life!!!!

Another question ... if one was to go with a FOWLR tank, no anemones or things of the sort, regular HO florecents would be sufficient? I'm definitely not trying to skimp on price here, but want all the info I can gather!

TIA, and I hope I don't sound redundant! Just confused .... maybe I should stop reading for a day or so .... let it all soak in and then continue!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

For FOWLR, NO fluorescents are sufficient. HO are not regular they are the T5 bulbs and you would not be skimping if you got them.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nevermind .... I think I have answered that by doing a little search for FOWLR LIGHTING (amazing what a search will turn up). Normal HO florescents will be fine as long as I NEVER plan on corals!

I'm sure everyone on here will say "One day you'll want some corals!" ... I'm sure one day I will, especially with the clowns I want to get!

One thing that is still confusing me though is ... if I put 60lbs of LR in my tank, there will be no need to run any filtration system only a Skimmer, PH, and heaters? BUT it would a little better to run some type of filter then none right?

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermz79
One thing that is still confusing me though is ... if I put 60lbs of LR in my tank, there will be no need to run any filtration system only a Skimmer, PH, and heaters? BUT it would a little better to run some type of filter then none right?
Basically. A sump with a wet/dry filter will do some good, but it wont make that much of a difference to start with. Eventually I am sure you will want one to act as a refugium, because everyone ends up wanting pods in their tank and corals.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's what I've decided to do .....

CPR Bak-Pak 2 (seems better than the Prizm Delux)
2 - 900 PH (might I need 1200's)
2 - 50 watt heaters
VHO florecents (for the time being)
30lbs of Base
30lbs of Keys LR
and 5" DSB

Of course test kits and what not! But as for setup on a FOWLR tank how does this sound to you guys?

Now with all that said, What type of "cleaning crew" would I want, and what type and how much Livestock would I be safe with?

Thanks .... you guys are AWESOME!!!!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com