Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello!

First let me start by saying hello, and thank god I found this site. I am new to the world of saltwater aquariums and am eager to get started!

I just bought my first house and decided "Hey what better way to spruce up the living room, but with a nice SW tank!" ... I have had FW tanks all my life but never SW. I figured since I am going to be in this house for a while this would be the best time to start one!

O.K. so now, Let me tell you what I have planned ... I have a 30 gallon tall, dimensions are 30x12x17.5, was a FW tank and was recently drained and is now just sitting! I have read, read, and read some more then I took a break and read some more ..... NOW I am just confused!

I want to get everything that will best suit my tank size, and be able to setup a healthy thriving tank. I understand the cycling process and water testing stuff, I am just stuck on exactly what products would be best for my tank. Filters, Lighting, PH, Sumps, Skimmers etc. etc. etc. do I need all of this if not what do I need? what brands? how big?
Are you starting to get my drift?

Money is tight, but not really an issue. Just remember I am a beginner and don't want to spend the New Mortgage payments

Thanks in advance,
Jermz

Old 04-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA!!!!!! First thing I would suggest is get a bigger tank! You'll have to decide if you want a reef tank(corals and such) or just fish. Once you make that decision we can get more into detail of what kind of equipment you will need.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bigger tank is outta the question! Not a whole lot of room in my new house and this tank has sentimental value!

As for what type of tank I want? I want to do a FOWLR tank, just a few little clowns and maybe a Gobbie (sp?), and a clean up crew! Am I out of mind for this tank or should I be o.k.?

And then for equipment ...... I would absolutely appreciate if everyone could give me some pointers!

Thanks

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would strongly suggest the purchase of a skimmer. This will help with the bioload you will have in fowlr tank. You will missing some of the key elements that make a reef tank easier (IMO).

Do you intend to get an anemone to host your clowns? If so you will need really good lighting. I suggest getting the power compact lighting systems with both white and blue lights.

On the sump issue, it is up to you. If you ever want a mandrin dragonet or seahorse you need one so you can get your pod population up, otherwise I personally do not think you need one. They are great filters though.

You need maximum water flow. I have a much larger tank, thus I do not have any clue how many power head you will need. I have seven in my tank right now.

Your lr will act as a filter as well as your skimmer. Wet/Dry filters are another great way to go and can double as a sump. Its really about personal preference and the amount of money you have to spend.

Maybe some DIYers could help you out with a design for a Wet/Dry filter/sump. That is what I run with.

HTH!

Welcome to AA!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks!

Yeah I plan on getting an anemone and have looked at PC lighting, seems to be the best for my little setup and the most cost efficient!

I don't know if I understood correctly or not, but with the live rock .... I don't run any type of filters or skimmer????
I was looking at some BIOwheel filters, but not sure what size would be sufficient for 30 gallon tall!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 04-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh no, you should run a skimmer no doubt! Live rock acts as a natural filter for the water as well. It will help your filtration to have the live rock.

The different kinds of filter you might want for a sw tank are; biological filter (Live rock, live sand), chemical filter (nitrate sponge, charcoal) and mechanical filter (skimmer, wet/dry filter).

The BIOwheel filters, explain this to me, are they the ones that have the cartriges? If they are, you might not want to get one of those. They tend to trap bad stuff.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome Jermz79... I hope you find this forum as helpful as I have. These guys are a great bunch and we'll all try to help you with any questions. I am fairly new to saltwater and got great advise

Dont forget to vote for A.A. Rob

Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a link direct to a BIOwheel filter, I think these are for both FW and SW?
would one of these with a skimmer be sufficient or should I run a cannister type?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...4+22769+113565

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 04-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

and also with LR and LS are filters neccessary or do I just need to run a skimmer?

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 04-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

O.K. here is what I can put together .....

Emporer BIO-wheel 400 (link provided above)
2- 1200 PH
Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer
5" DSB
30lbs of base rock
30lbs of Live Rock (probably Keys from liverocks.com)

Does this sound like a good start or is there anything I'm missing?

NOW .... lighting is the only thing I'm missing? Do I need to buy a completely new
hood or can I convert the one I have now? I wanna go with PC lighting good
enough for an eventual anemone!

Man I wanna thank everyone for the input already recieved!
THIS BOARD ROCKS

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com