Hello All and Help Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max_in_SD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my 3 attempt at successfully having a saltwater aquarium. I have successfully done Tropical and Goldfish but each time i try salt my fish dont make it. This time i decided to go all out and purchased a Miluakee PH monitor and refractometer. My tank specs before i start

1) 125 Gallon Tank
2) Two fluval 404's
3) Seaclone 150 gallon Protein Skimmer

My calibrated miluakee SM120 saids my PH is at 8.1
When i use Aqaurium Pharacetuicals test kit it shows i am around 8.8 range. I have no fish in the aquarum as the two damels i had purchased died with in 2 hrs of being in the tank. I dont know what else to do i have bought the 8.2 buffer so to me makes no sense why the SM120 cant measure 8.2 for my tank. I have no live rock/sand. Tanks been running for about 5.5 weeks. Its back to really clouded because i added some of the Seaclem Prime. No fish in there. I let tank go thru the inital cycle for about two weeks. Just let it run it got really cloudy and after like 6 days it became clear. Two days later i added 2 Damels. Both the Damels died over night. So i decided to let it continue running and waited another 2 weeks. I bought two again and with in a couple hours i knew they would not make it and both crashed down soon. Wished i would have kept there water could have put them back in it. What i do with the damels was dump them in bucket. Every 10 minutes or so added some of the tanks water to there water. After an hour I dumped into the tank. I have Coral Sand Substrate with a Lord of the Rings theme oranments. They create hiding places and waterfalls of bubbles. Looks really kool would have took a picture but with it being so cloudy cant see anything. I used instant ocean salt. Any advice greatly apperciated

These are my overall readings

temperature (max and min) 79-77
pH-- three readings SM120 8.1, from Kit 8.8, from dip stick 8.4
salinity -- 1.022 from hydrometer, awaiting on refractometer
ammonia -- .5 from kit
nitrites -- 0 according to kit
nitrates -- 0 according to kit

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

Max_in_SD said:
Th1) 125 Gallon Tank
2) Two fluval 404's
3) Seaclone 150 gallon Protein Skimmer
This will be one issue. The water flow is very under powered given the tank volume and length. Even though the Fluvals are rated at 340 GPH each, you'll most likely only get about 2/3rds of that after head height and any media is added. This puts you at about 425-450 GPH total for the tank. Realisticly you need a minimum of 10x the tank volume for adequate water flow. A few well positioned powerheads inside the tank will help. About 3-4 Maxi Jet 1200's would do or something similar in GPH (295 ea). The skimmer itself will not be a contributor and a Seaclone 150 is very underpowered as well for this sized tank.

I have Coral Sand Substrate with a Lord of the Rings theme oranments.
What is the ornament made from and how deep is the substrate?

These are my overall readings

ammonia -- .5 from kit
nitrites -- 0 according to kit
nitrates -- 0 according to kit
This would indicate the tank has not properly cycled or you're getting a false reading from using the Prime additive. You shouold re-cycle the tank from scratch until ammonia and nitrite are undetectable. There should normally be some nitrate showing at the end depending on the amount of organics used in the cycle.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

Cheers
Steve

You need to do alot of reading on the hobby and take things slow...
Do a search on acclimation there are a lot of threads on this. And if you Ph is that far out of wack then this is the cause of the quick deaths. Going from a 8.0 to a 8.8 will kill them quick. And the acclimation process you use is no good..
1- you need to cycle the tank with some shrimp from the super market..
2- think about adding some flow to the tank.
3- I would get some Live rock... No better filtration the LR
4- Read, read and read some more...
SW is way different then FW. Can not even compair the 2 IMO..

Do you add the salt to the tank with the fish in there to adjust the salinity/SG?

Back
Top Bottom