hello and please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fonzi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my name is Alberto, ive been a chef for a bit, my newest hobby is this 14 gallon biocube tank, i recieved it as a bday gift last sat, i added protein skimmer no carbon filter, added live bacteria, 11 lbs of live rock, 3 inches live sand, couple days ago added 4 tiny damsels, now heres my questions, my pump seems to have problems retaining minimum water levels and will start making noise shooting lots of air bubbles back into the water, i tryed adding water and raised the water level in the tank this helped for a bit but now its doing the same thing again, i cant add more water! Another problem i have is when i turn on my lights the fan makes a funny noise once i give a love smack it stops making the noise and hums quietly, whats that about? Also ive noticed a green moss type thing stated to grow on my rocks and now on the sand whats this? And are UV sterilizers helpful enough to invest in? Finally products like purple up a good idea yet?

P.S. how should i go about upgrading? ive read sooo many storys replace bio balls with live rock ruble, cheato algae... but im in california where cheato is banned? Thanks for your time and knowledge in advance!

Attachments

• DSC02102.jpg
    DSC02102.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 106
well from the pump issue check the cover on chamber two over the bioballs, i had the same problem and it was because my water was too low then the cover wasnt letting enough water from chamber 1 get in to keep the water in chamber 3 high enough to keep it from bubbling.

the fan is a problem ive had a month since i got mine, very annoying. what ive found it to be is somehow the fans cooling the lights are rubbing against/vibrating off of something, remove the plastic cover of the lights, then the larger piece of metal from the bottom area and mess with the fans a bit until theyll quiet down, ive had to make mine so that theyre on all the time or else if they shut off when they come on theyll buzz again.

the green moss is diatoms/algae and is a sign that your cycle is ending, which is a good thing since now those damsels can be healthy, you should have read up on fishless cycling before this adventure, i know i wish i had

UV sterilizers i know nothing about so someone else will help but purple i woulsnt recommend, its useless and youll grow plenty of coraline on your own, i know i have!

as for upgrading unless you want to tear down your tank now i wouldnt suggest it, taking out all those bioballs will rid you of good bacteria that clean your tank up, ive read besides a bit of higher nitrates theres no difference and water changes can keep that down along with the skimmer you have. chaeto i have no clue about either

i own a biocube 14 myself and its great, hope you have as much fun as im having!

Moving this to the SW getting started forum. More people will see it there than here at the welcome wagon.

BTW your tank needs to be cycled. Hopefully the damsels are not there for that reason. Not too humane. Read our article on SW cycling in our Sw articles section. Also welcome to our site.

Back
Top Bottom