Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey, I'm also new to this. I was wondering how to wash the sand from home depot. I am setting up a 55, I want to use about 1 1/2 inches of live sand and maybe 10 or more pounds of LR. I would use a power filter, skimmer, and 2 PH's. I don't have enough loot for 75lbs of LR. I read in a lot of articles that between 1 and 3 inches of sand is good. I was wondering what you thought? I was mainly trying to figure out how to wash the sand, but any advice from an experienced person helps.
Hookman

Old 05-29-2003, 08:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard from many, and I believe that the silty stuff that clouds your tank up is good for it. I would not wash it. But if you do I think Logan has a trick. I would go with 2-5 inches on the DSB

Old 05-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I have heard an easy way to wash it is to put some in a 5 gallon bucket, take a hose with a sprayer on the end, and push it down into the sand. MAKE SURE the water is not on full blast. the sand should tumble and fall to the bottom while the silt runs over the sides. Do this till you can see the bottom of the bucket. I really strongly sug that you use at least 100 lbs of sand, 10-14 dollars at most at home depot.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 09:22 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Hm, I have not washed my sand when I use it. Of course my tank is usually clowdy for a few days. But that gives you the maximum amount of particle size disparity.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 09:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

As Aaron said, it may be cloudy for a few days, but you cant have any fish the first few days anyways. Unless you want to kill them of course.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:44 PM   #16

If you are going to use the regular silica play sand, try to move a few bags around to get to the middle of the pallete before putting them on the cart to purchase. I believe this will have helped the sand stay away from the harmful fertilizers that they seem to store it with...I washed mine because it was one of a few left, and right next to it 2 palletes down was scotts turf builder. So, I put it in a 5 gal bucket with the spray nozzle and ran until clear. dumped and did some more until I had enough...If you are going to use Southdown or Yardright play sand, it is from what I understand, packed in plastic bags. This will be ok to just add water and go. I do not suggest rinsing that sand.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:54 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would think that fertilizers would be the least of the problems. You have to remember one main risk when using silica sand. It is taken from the ground in bulk. Loaded by large tractors that could easily leak motor and hydraulic oil into it. Now by no means am I saying dont use it, because that is what I used in my FO tank. I am just pointing out one of the risks.

With that being said I would not rinse the sand. The smaller particles are benificial to the fauna in your DSB.

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com