Hello, Im starting out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonharris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone, I am just starting my research and planning what I need and want to do.

My only progress so far is to start making a stand for a tank. I had heard to overengineer it, I think that is what I have done since seeing some others. The ongoing progress is at http://photos.yahoo.com/jasonharris22 under aquarium if you are interested.

I plan to go with a 61x24x24 inch tank. 61 is a bit odd but you can have one mistake :D

Right now I am talking with my lfs about equipment and how to get started. I think I may have my fair share of questions over time to post here.

Look forward to talking with you.

Jason

That stand looks really good. It might be a little overkill, but I like that...I usually build things that way also. 61" is an odd size for a tank though. That comes to about 150 gal. Who makes the tank you're looking at? I have seen 5' tanks before...just never saw one that was 61". Your questions are welcome here and we'll do the best we can to answer them.
Logan J

Are you planning to land a helicopter on that stand? Good job! I like to see good wood work and from the looks of that stand, it will give years of good use. I believe also in having stability. Looks like you are doing great. keep us posted on the progress. Welcome to the forum.

Okay, when do start main construction on the house that's being built on that foundation! :lol:

Actually, I'd much rather be over built than under built, especially when supporting a whole lotta water.

btw: Nice HT screen, you post pics of the rest of your set up

It was supposed to be 5ft and I added an inch to allow for the molding to sit on and forgot to account for the panels that I put on the sides, doh. It doesnt matter though because there are a number of companies locally that will custom make fish tanks to size.

Clownfish, the HT is my other 'hobby'. I used to have some other pics there but I took them down when the room changed quite a bit. I will find some others and let you know when I post them.

Thanks,
Jason

That stand is gonna be stronger that the floor you put it on! But hey, It can never hurt. So do you plan on doing saltwater or freshwater? Any ideas on what you would like to keep.

I plan on saltwater. I have always had a preconceived idea about what an aquarium should look like. To me an aquarium should have colourfull fish and rocks or some sort of reef. I guess that these are the pictures I grew up with so thats what it will have to be :)

I don't know what I want to put in it yet. At this point I know I will need both a tank and a stand so I am not waiting to do this. I have a lot of reading to do to find out what I can have that I would like. I know I will have to be very carefull about mixing types of fish with each other as well as with corels and anenome.

My local stores have been helping somewhat with how I might haev to set things up. One is pushing for a canister filter, one is pushing for a sump with trickle filter etc so some things I will have to decide myself. At this point I like the idea of a sump for the protein skimmer and filter.

One thing is on my side.. I always like doing the learning curve for new things.

Jason

Back
Top Bottom