Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hello. Need some advice with cycling.

Hi there. I posted this on the new member intro but havent gotten any responces so I'm gonna try my luck here. I am new to AA and still fairly new to saltwater aquariums. I have had my 29 gallon tank up and running (fish only) for about four months now. Well needless to say I got the itch rather quickly to upgrade and get a bigger tank. Although I didn't go too big I upgraded to a 75 gallon. I finished setting up on Saturday and even threw in a couple pieces of LR from my already established tank as well as some other pieces I bought "new". I am not running a sump and am only using 2 over the back filters, a emperor 400 and penguin 350 both bio wheels. The penguin uses the same filter size as that from my 29 gallon so I put that used one in the 75 gallon. My question is since I used some live rock and sand from my 29 gallon how long should the cycling time take for the 75 gallon. Also I was told that I could still get corals and that a sump isn't necessary is that true? I already have coral lights as well. Coralife HO T5. Any information would be a tremendous help. Thank you.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It depends on how much LR and sand you switched over. The more you add the faster it would go. Since it is such a drastic upgrade, I would assume it would still take a couple weeks.

A sump is not necessary...but it should be suggested. It is a great help IMO.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Cool thanks. Yea I still have fish in my 29 gallon so I cant take much.. probably only took about 5 pounds of LS and 5-10 pounds of LR. Oh I should add that I added some turbo start to the tank as well since it is supposed to "speed things up" even though in my experience with the 29 gallon that didn't work figured it wouldn't hurt. I also threw in 2 pieces of raw shrimp since I have read that helps as well. The guy at the LFS told me I technically didnt need a sump even if I do end up getting coral that it's suggested but he has known people to have corals with just filters and it has been fine so I just wanted to double check.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd say highly suggest. Didn't have one going into putting my first corals, but since getting my sump going my corals have been doing better as there has been an increase in water quality. That and the addition of my RO/DI unit. But getting my skimmer off the back of my tank and into the sump was a huge help, that thing made a mess of my water.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #5

Oh wow I really still have a lot to learn. Maybe I'll hold off on the corals then or get a piece or two and see how that works out. Didn't really want to dish out $ for a sump just yet that's why when he told me that I went with the economical choice. Thanks for your help.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com